Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Has anyone used the PayPay debit card before? 2022/6/17 05:59
I just moved here and I need a debit card but most banks require at least 6 months of living in Japan before being able to open an account (Already got rejected by Rakuten). Does anyone know if it's the same for Paypay bank? I couldn't find anything on their site regarding the 6 months rule
by DanielChris  

Re: Has anyone used the PayPay debit card before? 2022/6/17 07:10
You mean you canft open an account? Or you canft get a credit card?

When I opened my first account some years ago that was absolutely no problem as long as you have a registered address on your sairyu card. I opened my first account at Shinsei Beni, in case you want to try.

What WAS difficult is getting a credit card. My husband/I applied for various credit cards but were turned down everywhere including Rakuten although we were both working and had very good salaries. I only managed to get one after changing my account to Citibank (now SMBC Prestia) and having had my salary go there for a few months. Then they accepted my application for a Visa card. Soon after I also got an Amex w/o any problems. I hold on to both cards for the 5 years I wasnft living in Japan (which was no problem) (I did also keep the Prestia account open).

But as said opening an account to get a DEBIT card shouldnft be complicated. I would try Prestia if they still issue credit cards. Shinsei back then didnft issue their own credit cards. You wonft be able to get a Prestia credit card right away, but at least you are already with the right bank.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Has anyone used the PayPay debit card before? 2022/6/17 12:52
@LikeBike now you can't open a bank account and get a debit/credit card if you didn't live in Japan for at least 6 months. The only bank that let's you open an account is Yuucho Bank but you can only use their cash card
by DanielChris rate this post as useful

reply to this thread