Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

what exactly is a "unguided" tour? 2022/8/31 13:30
I just want anyone's opinion or what they think if it's possible to set my own itineneary, book my own hotels, book my own airfare, go to where I want to go, and just let the travel agency know, and they approve it, is that something that's possible? If the unguided tour means the travel agency still dictates where I can or cannot go, then it's a hard pass for me even without a guide following me around.
by Bruce Chang (guest)  

Re: what exactly is a ''unguided'' tour? 2022/8/31 17:45
None of that is the possible the travel agent must book everything. They will have pre chosen hotels, flights, restaurants etc. You cant wonder off on your own you must stick to the itinerary at all times.
by Calum (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: what exactly is a ''unguided'' tour? 2022/8/31 20:28
Doubt airfares would be included.

Wait until ACTUAL information is released (it has not been done today).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: what exactly is a ''unguided'' tour? 2022/9/1 11:12
Here's my opinion:

- An unguided tour would be one that is booked through an approved travel agency (ie can issue an ERFS certificate) with an agreed itinerary between you and the tour agency.
- The tour costs would cover accomodation, internal transport, and attractions - It may or may not cover the external flights depending on the tour type, but most unguided tours don't include this.
- There'll be no tour guide accompanying you during your trip except maybe a representative doing the initial meet/greet at the airport.
- Maybe this is the controversial part of my opinion - I don't believe anyone, including the travel agency or govt, would care if you didn't follow the itinerary to the letter. They would be more concerned if you weren't following the health rules (ie wear masks, avoid 3Cs). This is more pragmatic.

Again just my opinion and happy to be wrong when the details are released soon
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: what exactly is a ''unguided'' tour? 2022/9/1 11:24
I'm not really sure if I understand what you mean.

An "agent" is someone who arrange things on your behalf and run their business using the handling fee they gain from it and their relationships between the airlines, hotels and land operators. If you do everything "on your own", you won't be leaving any room for the agent to do their job.

By the way, where does this "unguided tour" idea come from? The pandemic protocol? In order to prevent the covid-19 virus from spreading, Japan currently welcomes only guided tours, so that the guide can guide you to follow the prevention rules in this country. I don't think that unguided tourists are allowed here yet. So, what you really need is the guide rather than the agent.

Of course, you can request an agent an itinerary of your own design. What I mean is that you can contact a travel agent, tell them that you want to use this airline, that hotel, go to this place on day 1 and go to that place on day 2, and hopefully they would book them for you, write them all down, and arrange a guide to follow that itinerary along with you so that you could visit Japan right away.

I hope I have answered your question.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: what exactly is a ''unguided'' tour? 2022/9/1 12:34
@Uco

This gunguidedh tour question came from Kishidafs announcement yesterday about allowing for unguided or self guided tours from Sep 7. It was a big news yesterday

Re: what exactly is a ''unguided'' tour? 2022/9/1 13:08
Tom,

Thank you for the clarification. That was very helpful.

OP,

If you're planning to arrive to Japan after Sept 7, you can forget about what I wrote about the guide. I apologize for my ignorance.

In any case, you should be asking your question to a travel agent (or several travel agents) rather than to this forum.

But I can say that package tours can be designed to meet the traveler's choice, except that I'm not sure how much this is possible amid the pandemic. And again, travel agents don't give you approval for what you already arranged. The traveler asks the agents to arrange certain things, and then the agents check and see if it's possible business-wise, and if it is they'll do it for a fee. It has to do with contracts, kickbacks and licenses.

I hope it helps, this time.

Re: what exactly is a ''unguided'' tour? 2022/9/1 13:21
I don't believe anyone, including the travel agency or govt, would care if you didn't follow the itinerary to the letter. They would be more concerned if you weren't following the health rules (ie wear masks, avoid 3Cs).

I have to say that it's a little bit more complicated than that. Even long before the pandemic, travelers were always advised to follow the itinerary, in case of emergencies, regardless of the country they stay in. If nothing happens, then fine. But once things like disasters or fires break, it would be extremely difficult to track down the victims if they go around staying at different hotels on their own. At least, the agents can hardly be responsible for that.

Of course, this is just the basics, and people do cheat and go off their itineraries. But I'm just saying that it's not that simple. If you were a resident, then you tend to have friends, relatives and neighbors who'd look after you, but as a foreign tourist, you'd likely be on your own. Not always, but likely.

Re: what exactly is a ''unguided'' tour? 2022/9/1 19:20
@Uco

I think you used the right word there, gadvisedh. So itfs not illegal if you donft follow the itinerary, and I wouldnft call it cheating either (who exactly is being cheated?)

In some ways your tour itinerary is a business contract between you and the tour company. Youfve already paid for the services theyfre providing, but if you chose not to consume them then thatfs your choice.

Re: what exactly is a ''unguided'' tour? 2022/9/1 21:59
Okay, "cheat" may have been inappropriate. But the thing is, when something happens and people start inquiring how the traveler who isn't there can be contacted, the people at the agency are the ones who end up going through a lot of trouble, or worry to say the least. I used to work in the industry.

On the other hand, in some cases, the agency would let you "deviate", and they would forward that information to all who may concern (such as to the hotel, so that they won't cancel the room when they find out you're not sleeping there).

So, in any case, it's best to be honest.

reply to this thread