Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Going to Japan but dislike tea 2022/9/17 08:18
I have hard time to phrase my question above so pardon me for silly title.

So, I visited Japan few times and always find plain tea is served as staple beverage everywhere. It is a welcome drink, often the only drink in place of water. I love tea, appreciate good tea, like my tea unsweetened and love intense matcha flavor.

It never occurred to me that this might be an issue until I met my current partner. He cannot take unsweetened tea. Totally a no for sencha, he dislike matcha even as dessert, can't even take mugicha.

We always have a plan to visit Japan, but I wonder how to to deal with this especially when dining at a more traditional place. How to politely ask for water or other drink? Is it rude if he is served tea e.g. as wcome drink but I drink it instead?
by Moccy  

Re: Going to Japan but dislike tea 2022/9/17 11:24
How to politely ask for water or other drink?

Just ask. No problem. People all over the world ask for water for so many reasons. It's normal. Just say "water please" or "o-mizu itadakemasuka?" or just "o-mizu kudasai" with a smile. Note, however, that something other than water or free tea can usually have a price you need to pay.

Is it rude if he is served tea e.g. as wcome drink but I drink it instead?

No, it's not rude. But is it polite in your country to grab his coffee in front of your host? I'm not sure. You can drink his tea when no one is really looking. Or you can just leave it, because if someone sees you drinking his, the person may think you need a re-fill.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Going to Japan but dislike tea 2022/9/17 13:01
I doubt it'll be an issue. Not sure where you have traveled within Japan. But in my travels, tea is not served everywhere.
by h (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Going to Japan but dislike tea 2022/9/18 02:04
I also donft like tea in any form (nor coffee for that matter) and have no problem in Japan. If Someone hands me a cup of tea I just leave it there. And if asked I decline or ask for water instead. The only thing that I do drink though is cold mugicha.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Going to Japan but dislike tea 2022/9/18 02:59
To be honest - unless you have a kaseki dinner I don't think your going to have much of a problem. My comment on the dinner is more about using food products that includes tea as a flavoring.

Others in this group may be able to mention types of food that often includes a strong tea flavour (outside of matcha deserts).

I do like tea - but only drink it sometimes. I've never been asked why it's not been drunk in the past - nor have they seemed upset.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Going to Japan but dislike tea 2022/9/18 07:20
So, I visited Japan few times and always find plain tea is served as staple beverage everywhere. It is a welcome drink, often the only drink in place of water.

I just want to say, as a Japanese resident, that I agree unless you really stick to Western cuisine and Western-style establishments. (And I've already posted that you need not worry.)
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Going to Japan but dislike tea 2022/9/19 11:21
I get the welcome drink at a lot of places I eat at, and it could easily be tea or water. Often I don't drink either when eating out and it's never been a problem. Just leave it on the table and no one will mind.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Going to Japan but dislike tea 2022/9/20 12:04
Thank you for all the feedbacks! The idea of leaving the drink there is good, perhaps I can finish the drink before leaving.

For the context, I posted the question with reference in mind to local small establishments, traditional shops or local stalls (e.g. selling desserts or small snacks where you can take a sit and drink there), or minsuku. Except for beer, I didn't recall of having to order drink as warm tea (I visited during colder season) was served by default or was available on the table. My worry is whether it will be seen as unpolite.

I rarely go to a western cafe/restaurant except for some joints like Matsuya, Yoshinoya or ramen shop at city area, where usually cold mugicha is available for self-service. I did went to few staffed restaurant/cafe where I can ask for specific beverage so it should not be an issue there.

@Uco, thanks for the phrase! This is very useful.
by Moccy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread