Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Smoking in designated smoking areas? 2022/9/19 17:52
Hello! I'm not a heavy smoker. But once in a while I like a cigar. I noticed Japan sells a lot of cigarillos but I never see anyone smoking them.

Besides a bar, are cigarillos allowed in designated smoking areas where cigarettes are allowed? I can't smoke inside my apartment or on the street in my neighborhood. However I noticed there's a smoking area by my train station but I can't find info about cigarillos/cigars.

Thanks
by Kev123456  

Re: Smoking in designated smoking areas? 2022/9/20 08:49
Those designated smoking areas are just that, areas where people can smoke. The majority of people smoke cigarettes and they do so before getting on a train or after getting off a train and before going to a shop or the office. Usually they are outdoors to mitigate the need for smoke extraction machines. And generally, people just go for a quick one. Cigars take time to enjoy and I can't imagine someone enjoying one standing up in the elements for quite a bit of time to smoke a cigar. There isn't a restriction for what you can legally smoke in those outdoor areas. I am not so sure about the indoor ones, as cigar smoke is quite a bit more intense in odor.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Smoking in designated smoking areas? 2022/9/20 09:08
Thanks! that makes sense. Cigarillos are supppppper tiny and meant to be quick. They are probably smaller than cigarettes :)
by Kev123456 rate this post as useful

Re: Smoking in designated smoking areas? 2022/9/20 12:26
Oh, my mistake. To me, cigarillos means cigarettes as well.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Smoking in designated smoking areas? 2022/9/22 16:18
In most areas in Japan, there are local laws, which are officially enforced and everyone in the area must obey, that prohibit smoking on the road except for designated areas.
People don't mention it every time because they assume it's prohibited everywhere.

For example, this page on the Tokyo Metropolitan Government website says it started to be prohibited on April 1, 2020.
https://www.fukushihoken.metro.tokyo.lg.jp/kensui/tokyo/kangaekata_pub...

This is the article of the law.
https://www.reiki.metro.tokyo.lg.jp/reiki/reiki_honbun/g101RG00004964....
by Tai (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread