Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Photography inside Kenninji Temple 2022/9/28 11:37
Is it allowed to take photographs of the sliding doors inside Kenninji Temple (with the sumi-e decoration of dragons)? Further, is flash photography allowed? Thanks!
by Maz Farouki (guest)  

Re: Photography inside Kenninji Temple 2022/9/28 18:06
I can't remember if it's allowed - but I doubt if Flash Photography will be allowed
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Photography inside Kenninji Temple 2022/9/29 00:01
Hi, the dragons are on the ceiling in one of the smaller temple buildings (but they do also have lots of beautiful artwork on sliding doors throughout). I have lots of photos from kenninji (and am definitely one to respect the rules) so it must have been allowed. I imagine that flash photography wasn't though (although I cannot remember for definite). Usually in Japan where photography is not allowed there will be a sign either written in English or a picture with a camera and a line though it so that it is easily understood.
by Kikuya (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Photography inside Kenninji Temple 2022/9/29 07:04
Look for the no photo signs, many temples and shrines have them.
Japan does actually have a piece of legislation that prevents photography of precious and historic artifacts and relics, so it is not simply a request of the temple/shine to be respectful, there is some law backing up the requests and the small no-photo signs you see around the place.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Photography inside Kenninji Temple 2022/9/29 08:38
I also have many photos inside Kenninji, so it must have been allowed at the time - but I don't know if anything has changed. You'll see a "No Photography" sign, or a "No Flash Photography" sign displayed in places where you can't take photos or flash photos, so look out for that.
by jth_travel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Photography inside Kenninji Temple 2022/9/29 09:00
Just as a footnote - there are a ton of photos shown for Kennin-ji on google maps, both inside and outside. I did not see any no-photo signs in any of them.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Photography inside Kenninji Temple 2022/9/29 10:40
To all who replied, thank you very much! I will watch out for 'No photography' signs. It's the dragons on the sliding doors that I particularly want to photograph, for a book I'm writing.
by Maz Farouki (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Photography inside Kenninji Temple 2022/9/29 11:24
When I visited the hall last time - about 8 years ago - to my surprise it was allowed to take photography inside. It was surprising because in 95% of temple halls, photography inside is prohibited.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Photography inside Kenninji Temple 2022/10/1 02:07
Sorry, I got my dragons mixed up! I also have photos of the sliding door dragons so it must have been allowed (at the time at least).
by Kikuya (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread