Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Laid back itinerary for returning visitor 2022/10/1 21:37
This will be my 4th visit to Tokyo, with my last one occurring back in 2018. Each of my previous (touristy) visits lasted 2 weeks each, and this one will be no different.

For this visit, I'm just planning a really laid back itinerary where I can just stroll through not-so-busy neighborhoods, soak in the atmosphere & just generally savor being back in my favorite city.

Would anyone have suggestions on neighborhood walks that have a more local feel? Thank you.
by Gigi Chu (guest)  

Re: Laid back itinerary for returning visitor 2022/10/2 14:51
Way to vague to answer.

No one knows your interests.

You didn't even mention the city name of your favourite city to savour time in.
by h (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Laid back itinerary for returning visitor 2022/10/2 15:09
I thought Mitaka was nice, but that was probably 10 years ago
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Laid back itinerary for returning visitor 2022/10/2 16:41
Gotta agree with H.

You don't tell us where you are apart from a starting location (Tokyo).

You don't tell us what you like (apart from walking)

Give us something to work with! Also - where have you already been. The only walk near Tokyo which I found interesting at the time was Kawagoe. Kamakura also has lots of options as well - but I also find it a nice location to ride a bike as well.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Laid back itinerary for returning visitor 2022/10/2 21:06
I donft think the question is vague at allc

On my last trip to Tokyo I walked from the Sumida Hokusai Museum to the Sumida River (I passed the Edo Tokyo Museum but didnft go in this time; also had a delicious vegetarian lunch at a restaurant in Ryogoku, called Genkitei), and then walked along the river past a couple of bridges, across one bridge, and then back along the river on the other side, eventually ending up at Bakurocho Station where I caught a direct train back to my hotel in Shinagawa. The river walk was really quite memorable, just for the scenery and the vibe, and something you could do early in the morning if you werenft wanting to visit shops, restaurants, or museums. I really enjoyed it a lot!

Kichijoji is not bad for strolling around. Also Yanaka Ginza. I also liked Kawagoe, although not for the (in)famous gCandy Alley.h What I liked there were the buildings and also the shrine, although I forgot the name of it. But Kawagoe is outside of Tokyo. Itfs easy enough to get to, although you have to figure out the transit to some extent. (I found that the local buses were more efficient than the tourist loop buses.)
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Laid back itinerary for returning visitor 2022/10/2 21:26
Just to clarify, I'm only referring to Tokyo.
Have made side trips in the past to Mashiko, Kamakura, Nikko, Nagoya, Yokohama, and a couple of agricultural areas. Also a separate trip to Kansai region.

This time, I'm just planning to stay in Tokyo. Not really planning to do side trips. Just want to go to pockets of local places just to balance out the usual shopping areas of central Tokyo.
by Gigi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Laid back itinerary for returning visitor 2022/10/2 21:34
I also got a kick out of Sugamo (famous for red underpants for old people, but with a reasonably interesting assortment of other shops and restaurants), and it is logically paired with a trip to Rikugien, a very nice garden. I once saw a Japanese kingfisher there (at Rikugien, not Sugamo) that kept me entertained for quite some time. It lived there and wasnft just passing through, according to what some other visitor told me. That was a number of years ago, so that bird might be dead, but there is plenty more to see at the gardens. When I went it was Shogatsu time and they had a terrific shishimai event. Some local kids were doing a taiko performance by Sugamo station. Very local place and you never know what you will see, but good for a casual stroll.

Re: Laid back itinerary for returning visitor 2022/10/2 23:08
I like Shimokitazawa and Sasazuka area.
And Shibamata that has a stunning temple underrated.

Shibamata Taishakuten
+81 3-3657-2886
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Zuj5CWPzYf2esAA1A?g_st=ic

If you can get hold on a copy of gTokyo Adventuresh by Tae Moriyama thatfs probably what you ate looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/Tokyo-Adventures-Glimpses-City-Bygone/dp/407975...
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Laid back itinerary for returning visitor 2022/10/2 23:36
The Iokashira Line is a possibility. The over-ground train line goes through residential areas, and it's ideal for looking out the window and hopping off at a station that interests you. Ultimately, the line leads you to Kichijoji which is an interesting neighborhood on its own neighboring Mitaka. In fact, the Line is now one of the very few train lines in Tokyo that still runs mostly over the ground. Everything is going underground now.

https://transfer-train.navitime.biz/keio/directions/timetable?station=...

I love Shiokitazawa, too, which happens to be a station along the Inokashira Line, but the thing is that the town was recently renovated dramatically. I now don't know what is where. Same thing with Nakameguro and Daikanyama.

Another possibility is the Megurin bus.

https://www.city.taito.lg.jp/kenchiku/kotsu/megurin/index.html
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Laid back itinerary for returning visitor 2022/10/2 23:40
I wouldnft exactly call Odaiba/Ariake/Toyosu a local place, but if you like recreational train riding, the Yurikamome Line is just plain fun. Day passes are a little expensive, but if you sort of make a day of it and get off and on several times one will pay off. I just have great memories of riding the train itself. I guess you could also ride a boat (water taxi) and/or walk across the rainbow bridge. (I havenft done either but it might be fun.) If you havenft been to the new fish market it might be worth a visit just to see what it is like now. (Tourists who were passionate about Tsukiji tend to pan it because it is nothing like Tsukiji, but Tsukiji had gotten to be just dreadful because of all the tourists.) I havenft been to it yet but if I had lots of days to burn in Tokyo, I would definitely make one day a Yurikamome day, ride the train to my heartfs content, and make several stops along the way, possibly including one to just check out the new market. I know that at least one of the shopping venues (Venus Fort) has closed (I never really cared for it anyway) and the ferris wheel that was out there has ceased operation, but there are other things to do. Just walking around Odaiba for the views is enjoyable.

If you havenft been to Shibuya for a while, there are a number of new venues there. I never cared too much for Shibuya myself, but the new complexes there look quite attractive. (Japan Guide has some writeups.) Of course, Shibuya is the opposite of a local place and maybe what you are wanting to avoid.

I always like Meiji Jingu early in the morning. It opens at dawn, with no closure days. Again, it is a not exactly a glocal place,h but the atmosphere early in the day is terrific, there are very few people there. I enjoy walking through the shrine and ending up in Shinjuku, finding a good bakery, and heading back to wherever my hotel is to eat some delicious breads for breakfast in my room. (If it is rush hour itfs a terrible time to ride commuter trains, but I have found workarounds that arenft too bad.) If you get to Shinjuku after 9 a.m. you can visit Shinjuku Gyoen, which isnft a glocal place,h either, but since they charge admission it tends to keep the riff-raff out. It has never been crowded the few times I have gone, and I enjoyed the greenhouse. (It has different hours than the garden at large, as I recall.)

Of course you might already be aware of all of these things. But one thing about Tokyo is that it is dynamic and constantly changing, and even the hstandardh places can be worth revisiting every once in a while.

Over the years I have gotten a lot of great ideas from Time Out Tokyo: https://www.timeout.com/tokyo

Re: Laid back itinerary for returning visitor 2022/10/3 05:41
It would be helpful if you can tell us which areas you have enjoyed strolling in past, so we know what to recommend and not recommend.
by kamahen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Laid back itinerary for returning visitor 2022/10/3 06:03
A few years ago (2019) Japan Guide writer Raina Ong did a nice writeup of Kiyosumi Shirakawa that made me want to explore that area. I had once been to the Kiyosumi Teien but never wandered around the environs. Ifm sure it has changed a bit in three years, but probably not so much. It seems that Voice of Cheese (Cheese no Koe) is very much still there. (I looked it up! I want to go therec)
https://www.japan-guide.com/chottozeitaku/190419.html
http://food-voice.com/cheese-no-koe/en

Sorry to keep butting in, but Ifm preparing for a trip myself and keep thinking of things to do when Ifm there. I wonft have as many days as you will, but I always like to explore some new areas as well as going back to some of my favorites.

Re: Laid back itinerary for returning visitor 2022/10/3 08:39
Thank you everyone, much appreciated!
by Gigi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Laid back itinerary for returning visitor 2022/10/3 10:54
Have you been to Jindai-ji
https://www.jindaiji.or.jp/en/

Jindaiji and adjacent Botanical Gardens
https://www.chushikokuandtokyo.org/spot_136/

The journey was the highlight for me as you get glimpses of Tokyo on the train, quite different to the urban areas. The bus takes you through the idyllic leafy suburbs.

The temple itself is simple with little embellishments (not gaudy). Itfs peaceful in the Botanical Gardens.

I used Route 1 which was easy from Shinjuku .
At Chofu Station, head towards the Central Exit.
The bus stop is to the right of the small plaza/ concourse - look for bus stop 14. Just reconfirm with driver itfs going to Jindaiji ( last stop on this route) as several buses use stop 14.
I used the IC card to tap on/off so no idea of fares but itfs very minimal.

Route1
About 15 minutes by Keio Bus 34 bound for Jindai-ji from the North Exit of Keio Chofu Station / About 1 minute on foot from the bus stop

Route2
About 15 minutes by Keio Bus 21 bound for Jindai-ji from the North Exit of Keio Tsutsujigaoka Station / About 1 minute on foot from the bus stop
by aa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Laid back itinerary for returning visitor 2022/10/3 12:05
@Gigi, thanks for starting this thread, I too am going to return to Tokyo and wish to explore more laid back neighborhood.

@Kim
I agree for Yanaka Ginza and wish to return there. How is the situation now, e.g. are the business still open?

For Kawagoe, it's been on my list for very long but I heard it's too touristy (e.g. business to cater for tourists than for the neighborhood).
by Moccy rate this post as useful

Re: Laid back itinerary for returning visitor 2022/10/3 14:37
An other place I didnft mention is Gotokuji. I like the temple but even more the shrine (Setagaya Hachimangu) which Even has a sumo ring.

Plus there is a typical neighborhood walking path. On what once upon a time was a small river. They are quite common in Tokyo neighborhoods.

The nicest which I know goes from Ikejiri Ohasi to Umegaoka (and further) the nicer part comes like in the middle of these 2 points

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1-Fd4daoRyzc__WSma4m9Q8j7VKw&...

There is an other one from a bit behind Shinjuku all the way beyond Sasazuka
Here a very incomplete map of several option:

https://www.google.com/mymaps/viewer?mid=1TiHbTgdJRpVl7x0ZPCwCxd5Nbl8&...

And then there are actual rivers such as Kanda (specially from behind Meidaimae outwards) or Zenpokuji river and specially the park around Wadabori park. In my eyes one if the nicest parks in Tokyo. Not a show garden but a leafy family affair. You can even go fishing in some ponds there.
Musashinoen
+81 3-3312-2723
https://maps.app.goo.gl/FQK9LEDQYqi1KBLx7?g_st=ic

Re: Laid back itinerary for returning visitor 2022/10/3 14:41
Should you go to Jindaiji, as @aa suggested, dont miss out on this onsen.

Onsen Yumorinosato
+81 42-499-7777
https://maps.app.goo.gl/UP4qJrd5JqpeNExR6?g_st=ic

Probably one of the best in Tokyo city area. And really close to this temple. (Which I agree with @aa is nice). I personally wasnft so impressed by the botanical garden. But its not bad either.

Re: Laid back itinerary for returning visitor 2022/10/3 16:02

I keep running out of time despite yearly visits (pre pandemic) and lengthy stays in Tokyo : the Sakura tram is highly prioritised for my next trip.

Lots of information, blogs online regarding which station to start and end. Most recommend Minowabashi. The end stop depends on where your hotel is located I suppose - Ifd choose the most convenient tram stop & corresponding train station without too many changes.
Needs a bit of planning.

https://livejapan.com/en/in-tokyo/in-pref-tokyo/in-ikebukuro/article-a...

You can combine this with Sugamo (red panties).
by aa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Laid back itinerary for returning visitor 2022/10/3 20:36
In response to Moccyfs questions, I have not been to Japan since 2019 because of the pandemic, so I donft know how local businesses have fared. I would sort of expect Yanaka Ginza to be largely unchanged. As for Kawagoe being touristy, well yes it is, but like I said, what I found most interesting and appealing were the historic buildings, as well as the major shrine (it was Hikawa Jinja, I now remember). If you go early in the day you can better enjoy those things for what they are. The shops in the historic section do definitely cater to tourists but you can pretty much ignore them if you want to. (But they are one of the main reasons tourists go there!) To be honest, I canft say that my trip to Kawagoe put it on my list of places I would go back to, because of the transit time/cost/logistics. (If it were in central Tokyo and on a subway line I would be much more likely to re-visit.) But it was okay. Some people really like it a lot. I would say donft go on a weekendc

Re: Laid back itinerary for returning visitor 2022/10/3 23:12
A nice stroll I did last year was just walking from Ikebukuro station to Shinjuku station roughly along the Yamanote line. It can take somewhere between one or two hours depending on how many stops your make, but there is plenty to see along the way. In Mejiro I found a lovely little garden whereas in Takadanobaba I sat and watched some teens play basketball in the park. Takadanobaba also has the University which is worth seeing if you're into retro-futuristic architecture. Next stop was Shin-Okubo with it's multicultural vibe. Nice place to have a bite to eat. Finally arriving at Shinjuku.
by floatyourboat22 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread