Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park in November 2022/10/3 05:09
Hey,

I've been to the Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park, in Nagano, a number of times in the past during the winter. However, I have never been during November.
My sibling and his partner will be making their first trip to Japan next year (now that the boarders are reopening) and we originally planned on doing the trip during January before postponing it till later in the year.
They would still love to go and see the monkeys, though, and I am just wondering if others have been to the park around the middle of November (looking at around 15th-20th November)?

I am wondering what the status of the Koyo (autumn colours) will be like at that time of the year?
And also the chances of seeing the monkeys? As I know that the monkey mating season is October going into early November.

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,

by Kari Haruka  

Re: Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park in November 2022/10/3 19:11
They have a life camera on tgeir web page. Scroll to the bottom. So you can get an idea about #of monkeys. I would look at it before departure fir a few days to see if there are any.

https://jigokudani-yaenkoen.co.jp/
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park in November 2022/10/3 20:43
Thank you for your reply.

I am aware of the incredibly helpful live cam, and I've used that on past trips.

In my OP I failed to include that for Koyo colours, my enquiry was for the Kanbayashi Onsen area (area surrounding Enza Cafe and the entrance of the walking path to the monkey path).
I've found very little first hand experience (online) of people who've visited the area in November.
by Kari Haruka rate this post as useful

Re: Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park in November 2022/10/3 21:18
This is current status of koyo at Shibu onsen

https://tenki.jp/kouyou/3/23/35155.html
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park in November 2022/10/3 23:12
I was there November 2011.
We stayed in yudanaka onsen for two nights which was lovely.

There wasn't any snow and plenty of monkeys bathed at the pool. I think they are fed all year so you will have the chance to meet them whenever you go.

Autumn colors were not really memorable. Looking at my pictures there were mostly coniferous forests which were green at the time. The few leaves visible were redish/brownish.

O loved the trip but I remember that I would have liked to go when there was snow.
However, weather and climate was nice, so I can recommend going in November.
by DrRodriges rate this post as useful

Re: Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park in November 2022/10/4 13:34

We visited the Jigokudani Monkey Park  on 23 Nov 2012, hoping not only to see the monkeys but the snow as well. Unfortunately,  there was no snow, but the weather was fairly cold. We saw plenty of monkeys enjoying  the onsen. 
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread