Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mid/late April cherry blossom itinerary 2022/10/5 01:26
I'm also looking for feedback on an April 2023 cherry blossom itinerary. Flying in and out of Tokyo from the US west coast. My last trip in 2018 we visited during the cherry blossom season Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Himeiji, Okayama, Kanazawa, Nagano, Sendai over about 3 weeks. I am going with different people this time and they are somewhat more interested in the Tohoku region. Ideally, I don't want to miss cherry blossoms at Yoshino and Mt Fuji though.

4/10: depart US
4/11: Tokyo overnight
4/12: Mt Yoshino
4/13: Mt Yoshino
4/14: Fuji Five Lakes [via Mishima with car rental]
4/15: Fuji Five Lakes
4/16: Fuji Five Lakes
4/17: Fukushima [return car at Mishima]
4/18: Fukushima [Hanamiyama Park, Funaokajoshi Park]
4/19: Fukushima [Yamadera]
4/20: Morioka
4/21: Morioka [daytrip to Kakunodate]
4/22: Aomori
4/23: Aomori [daytrip to Hirosaki]
4/24: Aomori [daytrip to Aomori]
4/25: back to Tokyo
4/26: fly back in afternoon

My biggest hurdle I think is getting from Yoshino to Fuji Five Lakes. It is time consuming for sure. I figured we would rent a car from Mishima so we have the flexibility of moving around the Kawaguchiko region and could even divert to Hakone depending on weather conditions.

For the Tohoku regions, did I divide up my nights okay? I picked Fukushima as a base because I based myself in Sendai last time and want to try somewhere different this time. Perhaps I should look to stay overnight in Kakunodate instead of Morioka? I think Hirosaki is all booked out and I'd like to visit Hakodate so I picked Aomori in between.
I realize we may be too early for peak bloom in northern Tohoku/Southern Hokkaido, but I also did not want to be too late for Mt Yoshino.

by jolinn  

Re: Mid/late April cherry blossom itinerary 2022/10/5 15:45
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Mid/late April cherry blossom itinerary 2022/10/5 17:07
I'd reverse the itinerary
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mid/late April cherry blossom itinerary 2022/10/6 01:13
Kakunodate for sure is the nicer town where to stay than Morioka. If it fits well enough into your schedule.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mid/late April cherry blossom itinerary 2022/10/6 01:26
Assuming you're up for driving in Japan in the first place, renting a car to get around the 5 Lakes is a convenient way to get around.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mid/late April cherry blossom itinerary 2022/10/6 02:35
It helps to be flexible when chasing cherry blossoms, because it all depends on the weather which nobody can control. Being flexible is easier traveling in a smaller group. Also note that you can still enjoy cherry blossoms not quite full bloom (like 70% full), probably more than past-full. One time I made a mistake of trusting a TV news cast saying "it is in full bloom at location X", and when I went to X the next day it was past-full and I was disappointed.
by kamahen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mid/late April cherry blossom itinerary 2022/10/6 14:19
Regarding flowering, this may be helpful.
https://sakura.weathermap.jp/en.php
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Mid/late April cherry blossom itinerary 2022/10/7 11:29
I'm not sure how reversing it makes sense, what do you mean?

I figured we'd be in Morioka to be more flexible on the Shinkansen line in case we don't guess correctly.

I've driven once before in Okinawa. I think relying on public transportation would have us going to Tokyo after leaving Yoshino for a transfer to Kawaguchiko which sounds like a very long day, but it nevertheless is even with a car.

I agree, being earlier is better than being late. I was too early in Kitakami a few years ago but it was better than when were too late at Funaoka.
by jolinn rate this post as useful

reply to this thread