Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Language skill for citizenship 2022/10/9 21:23
I want To apply for citizenship but my Japanese skill is not very good. Anyone can tell me about Japanese Language skill? What kind of Laval is Required?? Is anyone applying with no good Japanese Language skill. Please Reply if someone has experience
by Zaman (guest)  

Re: Language skill for citizenship 2022/10/31 09:01
@Zaman,
Japanese language ability is compulsory. you need to communicate with the officer in Japanese and also you need to write an assay in Japanese and also, they will take Japanese language ability test from you. the test includes katakana, Hiragana and 3rd grade elementary School kanji.
you would better to learn Japanese first and then apply for citizenship.
thanks,
by wanda (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Language skill for citizenship 2022/10/31 10:52
@Zaman

My personal guess-timate would be that at bare minimum you'd need to sufficient Japanese language skills to be able to hold a daily conversation and live in the country, possibly a little more even.

When I applied for my PR I had a phone call from an immigration official who spoke to me completely in Japanese to which I answered entirely in Japanese; no written or reading test though. I was asked very simple questions like what I'm doing now, what my schedule at work was for the week, how me and my wife manage etc... And I think I've read somewhere that being a PR doesn't have any Japanese language requirement but I'm pretty sure that's false info. So going back to the topic at hand, you'd likely need more than what I just described. Good luck.
by King of the World (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Language skill for citizenship 2022/10/31 13:52
Is PR and citizenship the same thing?
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Language skill for citizenship 2022/10/31 14:47
No. PR is Permanent Resident, but you continue to be a foreigner while citizenship sees you loose your original citizenship and gain the Japanese.

For PR there is no Japanese language skill requirement.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Language skill for citizenship 2022/10/31 15:47
No there is no specific clause stating that " Applicant must have minimum JLPT N2 or N3 " in order to qualify and apply for PR but if you just pause and think about it for a moment, the requirement is sort of there for most people, it's just not written down formally.
by King of the World (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Language skill for citizenship 2022/10/31 17:25
Typically should be no higher than N3, which is still elementary school level.
by Christian Hirose Romeo Graham rate this post as useful

Re: Language skill for citizenship 2022/10/31 20:27
OP asks about "citizenship" and not PR.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread