Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kumano Kodo and Yakushima in one trip 2022/10/11 00:28
Dear Japan enthusiasts,

My 14 year old son and I are going to Japan for the first time for 2 weeks in April and are immensely excited. I planned what I thought was a brilliant and slightly unconventional trip, very little time in Tokyo and lots of time out in nature hiking. I am a big fan of spending more time in fewer places. Our tentative itinerary is as follows:

Fly into Osaka, spend 3 nights acclimating, travel east and hike the Kumano Kodo for 3days/3nights, go to Kyoto for 3 days/3nights, fly south to Yakushima for 3 days/3 nights, then finish with 1 night in Tokyo before flying home.

Now I'm wondering if trying to do both the Kumono Kodo and Yakushima is a bit too ambitious and we should choose one (I think Yakushima, spend more time there, and maybe add one more night in Kyoto) or if you think it's a wonderful itinerary and embrace both opportunities for nature and hiking...?

Thank you so much for your time,
Alex
by Alex (guest)  

Re: Kumano Kodo and Yakushima in one trip 2022/10/11 07:02
Well, from a planning point of view this trip works. If that is what YOU and YOUR SON want to do/can do/enjoy only the two of you can decide.

To me for a first trip to Japan it sounds a bit too mich of hiking and bit enough of Japan culture. But thatfs me, not you.

If I had to chose in your itinerary I would skip Yakushima and instead add those days to Kansai. If you arenft into cities, maybe the area around Biwako or inner Nara prefecture. There you can also do a bit of hiking combined with culture. Eg Yamanobe no michi
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Kumano Kodo and Yakushima in one trip 2022/10/11 07:02
No really a question stranger's can answer. As we dont know you previous fitness or hiking history.

But I will say this. All touristy stuff in Japan involves a lot of walking also. I cover 3-4km per day easily. So even non hiking days will involve footwork.

So if you think you need more time between hiking legs of the itinerary. Then do so.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kumano Kodo and Yakushima in one trip 2022/10/11 08:07
If you like spending more time in fewer places, why not pick one of Osaka or Kyoto. They are less than 30 minutes apart by train. You can stay in Kyoto and explore Osaka easily (or the other way around; I recommend Kyoto).
by kamahen (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread