Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Weather at Kanazawa / Takayama end of January 2022/10/15 06:30
Hi Everyone,

what is weather at Kanazawa and Takayama end of January?

Would it be snow? would it be walkable? I am thinking to spending 2 days Kanazawa and Takayama.

Is it worth to spending night at Kanazawa ? or Osaka and make day trip from Osaka to Kanazawa?

Thank you.
by akhouw  

Re: Weather at Kanazawa / Takayama end of January 2022/10/15 11:13
what is weather at Kanazawa and Takayama end of January?

Kanazawa:
Average daytime high: 7 degrees
Average nighttime low: 1 degrees
Average snow depth: 7 cm
Average sunny days: 20%
Average rainy/snowy days: 75%

Takayama:
Average daytime high: 3 degrees
Average nighttime low: -5 degrees
Average snow depth: 20 cm
Average sunny days: 35%
Average rainy/snowy days: 45%

There can be no snow or there can be a lot of snow, depending on the day and year.

Is it worth to spending night at Kanazawa ?

Kanazawa has certainly enough attractions to justify an overnight stay. But it is not the best season for visiting the city.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Weather at Kanazawa / Takayama end of January 2022/10/15 16:51
Kanazawa can be very rainy, I have been there in early January and it had snow, rain, hail, lightning all pretty much at the same time. Walking about led to very wet boots and the bottoms of pants, if I was to go again around that time I would take gum boots.

Takayama was not quite as slushy, but the streets have water piped through them I guess to wash off the snow, so getting wet boots is pretty certain. My preference is Takayama which we have been back to several times (Hotel Associa is great). Shirakawa-go would be very likely to be under snow, that is super pretty but dont expect too much, and it does get slippery walking around.

by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Weather at Kanazawa / Takayama end of January 2022/10/15 19:00
Both are towns. People live there and walk around. So walkable , yes.
But it could be cold and rainy.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Weather at Kanazawa / Takayama end of January 2022/10/15 22:35
I find winter to be the best season to visit Kenrokuen Garden IF there is snow.

However, the downside is that in the winter, Kanazawa has water that shoots up on the streets to keep snow and ice off the roads and their drainage is HORRIBLE. There is sometimes no way to avoid deep puddles if you want to cross the street. It's really unpleasant without boots. I hate saying that, because it's a nice snowy destination, but the flooded streets and wet shoes can really dampen an otherwise good day...
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Weather at Kanazawa / Takayama end of January 2022/10/16 07:50
yeah, you step off the street and into a bit of snow then you are ankle deep in slush...but Kenrokuen and the dango shop there are fantastic in the snow
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread