Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Remote part time job for overseas company 2022/10/31 20:29
Hi everyone!
So, this next April I am going to study at a Senmon Gakkou and while I am in Japan as a part time job I got someone here in Europe that can give me a remote IT job so I will be working a remote part time job in Japan but for an overseas company. What happens is that they don't know how to make me a Japanese contract since I will have to pay taxes and whatnot in Japan.
Do you know any company that can help us handle my contract, monthly payroll taxes, etc...?
by nostoppe  

Re: Remote part time job for overseas company 2022/11/1 14:17
If you work for an international company, which is in Europe, then probably you should pay taxes in Europe, not in Japan. But, its better to confirm that with Tax Office, which is in Japanese (Å–±) Zeimusho. They will tell in detail and if you follow what they say, then there should be no problem.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Remote part time job for overseas company 2022/11/1 19:00
Based on the OP information, you are not working in Japan (for a Japan company).
You will be a student - if less than three months, on a temporary visitor permit. If longer, you will need a student visa.. If longer than six months (183 days), you will become tax resident in Japan and should file taxes.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Remote part time job for overseas company 2022/11/1 21:53
Let me further explain.
I will be living in Japan for 2 years on a Student Visa so i will be allowed to work part time at maximum 28h a week.
I know for sure that i will have to pay taxes in japan since i will be there for 2 years but since my part time job will not be at a company in Japan my future employer here in Europe will have to make me a japanese contract and make sure i pay taxes and all of that in Japan, since we do not have a clue about japanese contracts or tax paying in japan we are looking for some sort of company that could handle all this HR stuff .
My future employer told me they contacted this company called Deel but were told that they could not handle it for reasons i do not know.

Do you guys know any?
by nostoppe rate this post as useful

Re: Remote part time job for overseas company 2022/11/1 23:13
your foreign company does need nothing to do in Japan.
what you need to do is that you file your total incomes (i.e. the sum of your income from Japanese company and your earning from a foreign company.) to tax office in Japan.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Remote part time job for overseas company 2022/11/2 12:09
The national tax agency has a categorization for non-Japanese people living in Japan, according to which your tax payment obligations are decided, depending on how long you have been in Japan, if you have income from source outside/inside Japan, and if the income is from a source outside Japan, whether any portion of that is brought into Japan.
The following is the income tax guide. Please refer to pages 5 – 7 for the scope of income tax.
https://www.nta.go.jp/english/taxes/individual/pdf/incometax_2021/01.p...

According to this, for the first year you are in Japan, you will be considered a gnon-resident,h which means, according to the table on page 7, you will not have any tax obligations.
After the first year passes, you will be considered gnon-permanent residenth and you will need to declare the portion of your non-Japanese income that you bring into Japan (via remittance etc.) for your spending.
Based on the declared income, your income tax, resident taxes, etc. will be determined.

I am not a lawyer/tax accountant, but I donft think you need to get your employer to come up with any gJapanese contract,h because you will be working for a company outside Japan, and (unless they directly send your pay into a Japanese bank account which you specify) payments will not be considered as gpaid in Japan.h

At most, you might need some help from a tax accountant in Japan (to do the tax filing), but I don't think your employer needs to get any HR entity involved.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Remote part time job for overseas company 2022/11/2 12:11
P. S.
Please note that the terms the tax authority uses in that document (in the link I provided above) saying "non-resident," "non-permanent resident," and "permanent resident" are the terminology used only for the tax obligation classification, and has nothing to do with the different visa categories for immigration purposes.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Remote part time job for overseas company 2022/11/4 07:34
i will be allowed to work part time at maximum 28h a week.
That is work in Japan for a Japan company - does not apply in your case.
since my part time job will not be at a company in Japan my future employer here in Europe will have to make me a japanese contract
No, that is not correct. You will be working for a non-Japanese company so your contract with them will be under your European contract. I severely doubt they would create a Japan entity just for a part-time position.
Go and get (and pay for) proper professional advice.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Remote part time job for overseas company 2023/3/12 03:07
Nostoppe,
Did you ever learn the answers to your original question? I am in the same situation right now.
Regards,
by vpower rate this post as useful

reply to this thread