Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kanazawa vs. Hakone Ryokan Experience 2022/11/1 03:07
My husband and I are visiting Japan for the first time in April.

4 nights in Toyko --> 1 night in either Maki-no-Oto (Kanazawa) OR Gora Kadan (Hakone) --> 4 nights in Kyoto --> 1 night in Tokyo

I know they are VERY different places & experience but curious to hear your thoughts!
We are in between Maki-no-Oto (Kanazawa) and Gora Kadan (Hakone) for 1 night in April.

Which would you choose and why?!
by CarlyT  

Re: Kanazawa vs. Hakone Ryokan Experience 2022/11/1 14:17
From the websites, both seem very beautiful, but quite western, like a ritzy spa. If that is what you are wanting, rather than a more traditional ryokan experience, then they look sublime.

Hakone pro's - easier to get to, close to Tokyo and easy run from there to Kyoto along the main shinkansen line, Hakone is a nice foresty area with an interesting train run out to Gora, and a great outdoor museum, fantastic sulfur water, makes your skin nice and silky
Hakone cons - some people think it is too touristy. I find Gora a bit of a trial to get around because it is very steep. not sure if the ropeway is operating yet. that fantastic sufury water stinks, if you get any on your clothes you pretty much have to throw them out.

Kanazawa pro's - nice older style neighborhood, one of the best gardens you will see (Kenrokuen (sp?))
Kanazawa cons - makes your trip longer, and the Thunderbird from there to Kyoto isnt such an interesting journey. Nothing special about the onsen water. Kanazawa can be very rainy, not sure about April.

Verdict - it's a very hard choice, I'd be leaning toward Kanazawa if only for the garden, also the sulfur water at Hakone takes some getting used to. But either will be fantastic.

Alternative for good luck - consider Arai ryokan at Shuzenji. a more traditional ryokan in a nice onsen town not far from Hakone

by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kanazawa vs. Hakone Ryokan Experience 2022/11/1 16:47
We have stayed in both places, a lot depends on the particular resort you choose. We first stayed at the gYamato-yah in Hakone, which had a great location, but the hotel was quite old and in bad repair. On the next trip we stayed at the Sansuirou in Yugawara (close to Hakone) which was a much better place. Both places had wonderful food, the the Sansuirou had better service.

Last summer we went to the Kagaya in Wakura, which is in Kanazawa. This was an interesting experience as the Kagaya is rated as Japanfs best Ryokan. It was certainly the most gaudy, built at the height of the gbubble era.h But Wakura is very famous for its onsen baths, the Kagaya had great views of the bay the food was wonderful. The Kagaya is a big place with lots of dining options, shows, gift and souvenir shops, etc.

by Roppongi Crossing rate this post as useful

Re: Kanazawa vs. Hakone Ryokan Experience 2022/11/21 22:35
If I was going all the way to Kanazawa, I'd add an extra day onto the ryokan stay to see Kanazawa itself (which is a lovely city IMO).

If you're shelling out for a luxury ryokan, I'd imagine you're going to check in as early as possible and leave as late as possible and not leave the place in between.

I'd do a night in luxury and a night in a centrally-located business hotel to use as a base for sightseeing.

(I would also consider looking for a more traditional ryokan, but that's me and YMMV)
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread