Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese name needed? 2022/11/6 18:48
Hello Everyone! I'm pretty curious if I ever were to become a Japanese citizen would I need a Japanese name for legal stuff? Some people have told me that wouldn't happen but idk.
by jnguyen092  

Re: Japanese name needed? 2022/11/6 21:01
If you become "a Japanese citizen", meaning that you abandon your original nationality and obtain a Japanese nationality, your name would automatically become Japanese. You will be a Japanese person with a name, so that means that your name is Japanese just like you are.

Your name as a Japanese person can be anything from Taro Suzuki to John Smith, as long as you can write it in kana and have it registered on your koseki. For example, what would be written as "John Smith" in the UK would typically be written as スミス ジョン on your official papers including your koseki.

On the other hand, becoming a permanent resident in Japan doesn't necessarily mean that you become "a Japanese". On a related note, you can become a resident in Japan without being a permanent resident in Japan.

I hope this answers your question.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese name needed? 2022/11/7 06:18
Yes it does thank you for answering my question Uso! I think I understand it a lot better now :D
by jnguyen092 rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese name needed? 2022/11/7 06:19
Also I meant Uco i apologize for the misspelling of your name.
by jnguyen092 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread