Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary for 14 days including Okinawa 2022/11/7 21:29
Hi

Thinking to travel to Japan for 2 weeks from mid may to the end of May. We want to visit few places , but we don't know how To connect everything to a logical route.. maybe you can advise? We will land at Tokyo.

Places we want to visit:

Ishigaki (must) for few days.
Yakushima (must) for a night
Takayama for 1 night
Kamikochi(must)
Niko
Relaxed Japanese city (maybe Kyoto or Osaka?)

Can you advise how to put all these in a logical route?
Of course if you have any other recommendations along the route we will be happy to check them as well.

Last but not least,regarding Ishigaki - is weather OK to Snorkel in May? And also are yakushima and ishigaki are similar? Should we skip yakushima in your opinion?

Thanks!
by Av222  

Re: Itinerary for 14 days including Okinawa 2022/11/8 10:23
The sea season in Okinawa is from April to October, so snorkeling is possible.
The average water temperature is 24 degrees Celsius, so it can get chilly when you get out of the water, so it's best to bring something to wear.
Wearing a wetsuit will keep you warmer.
In Okinawa, the rainy season comes early, and the average yearly value is that the rainy season starts on May 10th and ends on June 21st. On Ishigaki Island, the rainy season starts about 7 to 10 days earlier than on the main island of Okinawa. Therefore, May has the most rainy days.
However, Ishigaki Island is a tropical country, so it rains like a squall.
The UV rays are also strong, so it is recommended to apply sunscreen.
I have been to Ishigaki Island, but I have never been to Yakushima.
As an image, Ishigaki Island is a beach resort, and Yakushima is an image of hiking in the forest.
If Yakushima is not a must, I recommend going to Iriomote Island near Ishigaki Island. It's like a jungle, and I liked it more than Ishigaki Island.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for 14 days including Okinawa 2022/11/8 14:26
Can you advise how to put all these in a logical route?

Tokyo (Narita or Haneda) to Ishigaki by air.

Ishigaki to Fukuoka to Yakushima by air or Ishigaki to Naha to Kagoshima to Yakushima by air.

Yakushuma to Osaka (Itami) by air (only one flight per day) or Yakushima to Kagoshima to Osaka (Itami or Kobe or Kansai) by air.

Osaka to Kyoto by train (15-50 min). If you like traditional culture of Japan, Kyoto is a must.

Kyoto to Takayama by train or bus.

Takayama to Kamikochi by bus.

Kamikochi to Matsumoto by bus and then train to Tokyo.

Should we skip yakushima in your opinion?

Itfs your travel, but if I were you I would skip Yakushima. If you skip Yakushima, you can take direct flight from Ishigaki to Osaka (Itami or Kansai).
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for 14 days including Okinawa 2022/11/9 10:09
Going to Yakushima is very problematic. There are ferries from Kagoshima, as well as flights from there or Osaka or Fukuoka... but they are very expensive, infrequent, and not able to use any discount tourist fares for them. I would add at least a couple more days, or else skip it entirely.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread