Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gaigin Storage Solution 2022/11/8 17:37
Hi People of the Net,
I am a British Citizen holding a British Passport, I am currently living in Hong Kong, which is 3 hours by flight to Tokyo. I am currently on a tourist visa in Tokyo. I have spent 20 days out of my 90 days, here in Japan.
I am an indie filmmaker, which has brought a lot of film equipment that requires storage for 15 days.
I want to rent a storage unit like "Hello Storage" Storage Rental Company. Which cost \18,080 yen for 1 month rental, the minimium lease are 2 months, it will cost \36,160. "In fine print, online it says you need a resident card to rent a storage unit." I don't have one of those.
I have brought a return ticket to Hong Kong, which includes 40kg check-in luggage + 7kg carry on luggage.
I have an estimate of around 62kg, including the filming equipment at 35kg. So I am hoping to leave my film equipment and some winter clothes inside a large size suitcase for 15 days. Since I will have to go back to Hong Kong for that period.
After the 15 days, I will come back to Tokyo to Nagano, to start a snowboard film project. I am planning to bring more stuff over such as my snowboard clothes, snowboard equipment. The plan is to pickup the luggage from the hostel or storage unit and drive to Nagano.
I have found the cheapest Airbnb hostels for \1700/ night only when booked monthly {Monthly \51,000}, and the cheapest Booking com hostel is for \1760/night for 15 nights (Total \26,400} (both location doesn't include private storage areas. Will it be safe to keep it on the bed for 15 days and will the hostel be mad if I just left it on the bed, if I wrap it with cling film and put up a sign "Saying This person went on business trip, he will be back on day/month", but still it might cause suspicious.
Is there alternative options? I have thought about delayed packet sending, I think in the US & UK. You can send a package or letter using the cheapest routes and apply forwarding addresses, so the package will constantly be in transit, but it is kind of risky and unconventional.
I have even applying for jobs in Japan that includes the visa required to get an apartment or storage units.
I hoping you can provide a straight forward & convenient solution.
Thank you
Yours
Kit
by Kit (guest)  

Re: Gaigin Storage Solution 2022/11/9 08:20
There are other storage facilities so maybe ask at a few others if you can rent space w/o residence card.

Or search for luggage storage. This page here claims you can store for as long as you want:
https://stasher.com/luggage-storage/tokyo
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread