Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I attend university in Japan at age 16? 2022/11/9 09:50
I have recently started a homeschool program for high school in which Ifm on track to graduate two years earlier than I would in a typical American high school. Ifve been studying Japanese for the past three years now, and Ifd like to move to Japan and attend a Japanese college/university when Ifm sixteen. Is there a way Ifd be able to do this?

Also, if this is possible, would I be able to get a job at the same time? What visas would I need, if theyfre attainable for someone at that age in the first place?
by Miowv  

Re: Can I attend university in Japan at age 16? 2022/11/9 13:30
You cannot stay in Japan by yourself as a minor. You need to be 18yo.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I attend university in Japan at age 16? 2022/11/9 13:41
Also check if your home school program is nationally recognised. So it can be used as entry into colleges/universities.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I attend university in Japan at age 16? 2022/11/10 11:15
I'm not sure why you think at 16 you'd be able to come to a university in Japan at that age. Generally speaking, people are 18 and have to graduate high school before they go to college, even more so in another country. You'd have to apply to other schools in Japan and also need lots of money saved to be able to afford to live in Japan.

There are honestly just many steps you'd need to take before coming to Japan. Can I ask why you want to come to Japan so badly?
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I attend university in Japan at age 16? 2022/11/10 16:57
https://www.japanvisa.com/visas/japan-college-student-visa

You need to apply for Student Visa through the university. Read above.

To work under Student resident status, you will need to apply for "Permission to Engage in Activity Other than That Permitted".
You can work part time for up to 28hours per week (during schooling term) and up to 8 hours per day when school is not in session.

The important thing as other mention is your home schooling program recognised by Japanese university for admission?
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I attend university in Japan at age 16? 2022/11/10 18:51
I'm afraid it's not possible to enroll in a university in Japan unless you are 18 years old or older. I know that you can "skip" grades in the U.S., but universities in Japan clearly state the you at least need to be 18.

On a related note, you cannot enroll in senior high school in Japan if you've already graduated one, and it doesn't matter what country you graduated in.

I wonder if your program has some kind of student-exchange system. Perhaps you can use it to study in a Japanese high school for some time.

As for jobs, you'd have part-time job opportunities if you're 15 years old or older, as long as you have the proper visa for it and as long as your school doesn't forbid work (because some do in order to encourage students to focus on studying). Note that jobs for 16-year-olds students would not provide enough wages to financially support living.

So, for you, age and visa are the major problems. I hope you find a safe and proper way to study in Japan.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread