Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan Fall 2023 2022/11/11 09:53
I won't be able to make it to Japan this fall but I am interested in a trip next fall, perhaps in November. I am interested in Kyoto, and seeing Chuhoku and Kyushu. The Kurobe Gorge and Tateyama Alpine route interest me too. I'd probably have 2 weeks and I know I can't see it all. What time frame/weeks would you suggest for seeing these areas in the fall?
by jolinn  

Re: Japan Fall 2023 2022/11/11 15:57
Japan guide did fall reports in the past traveling to major koyo spots. They didnft do so this year. But just look for them in the archive and youfll get and idea.
You wonft be able to get peak Koyo in Kyoto and (!) Kurobe likely as the hoght of these places / climate is too different
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Fall 2023 2022/11/12 00:16
I strongly recommend you to visit reso naruohama Located in nishinomiya, hyogoken
Here you can see view of osaka bay
by Jo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Fall 2023 2022/11/12 02:31
True, I am thinking mid to late November for a 2 week time frame for now. That lets me find some color in some of the nearby mountains and hills, but not the high alpine, and then leaves late November for Kyoto/Tokyo. I don't know too much about western Japan and will have to read more. I've only been as far west as Okayama and Himeji.
by jolinn rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Fall 2023 2022/11/12 03:45
I visited Kyoto in the autumn 4 times before.
From my experiences, the PEAK of autumn colors in Kyoto is late-Nov to early-Dec.
There are some variations due to altitude differences.
I will find out if that statement holds true this year, in about 2 weeks. 🍁
by kamahen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Fall 2023 2022/11/12 03:55
Seems like Kyoto is the top destination for fall colors based on several websites including this forum. Would you say that is the case? What are other nice places you've liked? I looked through the guide here already, just looking for personal experiences.

Re: Japan Fall 2023 2022/11/12 05:21
If you go in October, higher altitudes have nice colour (eg Kamikochi and I believe Shirakawa-go) and you dont have to deal with crowds. End October early November places like Takayama have brilliant colour, again no crowds, no struggles with accomodation. Our trip in 2019 was at that time, I suppose the only drawback is that you need heavy clothes for Kamikochi which is getting to the point of likely snow, whereas it is plenty warmer a bit lower down.

That said, Nara is really pretty in mid November as is Kyoto. I know that it isnt a set thing and I am basis this off a small sample (3 trips at end Nov/early December), but I have found most of leaves turn brown like clockwork when the chilly winds hit in the last few days of November, by 2 or 3 December it is looking a bit sad.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Fall 2023 2022/11/12 08:11
Toyama, Kyoto, Chigoku and Kyushu is way too much for only 2 weeks.

I'd Probably aim for Toyama 3D, Takayama 1D, Kyoto 5D and add one more smaller city like Okayama or Hiroshima 3D in Chigoku. That's 12ish days just there.
by h (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Fall 2023 2022/11/12 09:12
Toyama 3D seems a lot. Any specific plans for there?
Kanazawa is definitely nicer than Toyama.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Fall 2023 2022/11/12 10:57
Yup I realize I cannot do it all. I have to start and end in Tokyo because of flights, So it will most likely be Kyoto and soemwhere else. I have been to Kanazawa, Takayama, and Shirakawago during cherry blossom season so I know that area is nice. The alpine route and kurobe gorge are what interest me more but the timing for a 2 week stay probably wouldnt work out. So I'm entertaining the idea of Kyoto plus going more south and west.

Re: Japan Fall 2023 2022/11/12 14:00
@ Likebike

Kurobe Gorge and Kurobe Alpine route is at least 2 days. Hence the need for 3 days / 3 nights in Toyama.

Re: Japan Fall 2023 2022/11/25 07:47
I'm looking at Nov 17 to Dec 3 roughly now.
Tokyo 1N arrival -> Nagoya 3N -> Hiroshima 3N -> (filler) 3N -> Kyoto 3N -> Tokyo 3N
I decided to save the Kurobe region and Tohoku for a future October fall trip.
I am wondering how to fill the middle area. Takamatsu? Fukuoka? or the north coast of Chugoku?

Re: Japan Fall 2023 2022/11/25 09:01
Add more to Tokyo or Kyoto. These locations deserve more time than 3 days.

Re: Japan Fall 2023 2022/11/25 09:03
True, but this will be my 5th visit. Just haven't been in the fall.

Re: Japan Fall 2023 2022/11/25 10:09
Hi Jolinn,

Since your profile says you are from the US, I just wanted to say depending on where you are from in the USA you may find koyo in Japan sort of average and nice, but not something that can't be missed. I've been to Japan for koyo and I lived most of my life in New England. Koyo is certainly nice, but I don't mind that going to Japan in the Fall is no longer in the cards for me. If you live some place in the US where there are no real Autumn colors (like CA) then it will be much more exciting.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Fall 2023 2022/11/25 10:25
Ya, you have a point. I suppose it is the buildings juxtaposed to the autumn foliage that would make it different. Yes, I've been all over New England, the Smokeys and the Rockies in the fall.

Re: Japan Fall 2023 2022/11/25 11:20
Hi Jolinn,

I would say... that depending on the buildings you pick, there is limited fall foliage around them? And a lot of people really like seeing the hillsides covered in koyo, it is very much a thing, see this website listing Arashiyama as a top tourist destination for koyo.

I just think... if you've spend a lot of time seeing Fall foliage in New England (or lived in New England) it can be pretty in Japan, but I also think you might want to temper your expectations. There a lots of tourists from all over and there are many places that don't have foliage like New England or Japan. I have several small Japanese maples in my yard right now, but they just don't compare to what I had in New England. (Though the PNW does way better with sakura.)

Does that make any sense?

Re: Japan Fall 2023 2022/11/25 12:53
I agree with you, will try to temper my expectations. Do you mind sharing what Koyo places you've liked in particular?

Re: Japan Fall 2023 2022/11/25 13:24
Hi Jolinn,

I've not been to Japan for koyo since 2009, so please take that into consideration. I now have a kid and can only go during school breaks, but I miss going in March and April much more than going in the Fall.

I think my favorite koyo was the popular Oirase in Tohoku or maybe Onuma in Hokkaido I went on a day it wasn't that crowded and I just was having a really great time specifically that trip. I thought the actual festival part of koyo in Arashiyama was a lot of fun. I think I enjoyed that more than the sights themselves. I have a thing for weird ice cream flavors and the festival had momiji ice cream. It was awful. I liked koyo in the Nagano area, but I am unsure of how much was the actual environment and how much was the trip.
I've been to koyo elsewhere, it just overall hasn't made a big enough impression for me to really remember it vs. if you asked me the same question about the times I caught sakura before 2010. Now, I've mostly been going for hydrangeas and my daughter likes when we see lotus.

I hope this all makes sense!

reply to this thread