Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

a day trip to lake kussharo from sapporo 2022/11/12 14:51

I plan to go to sapporo this Feb 2023. Can I make a day trip to lake kussharo from Sapporo by train/bus?
Thanks
by Eric (guest)  

Re: a day trip to lake kussharo from sapporo 2022/11/12 19:01
The two trains you'd need to catch from Sapporo to Mashu station alone would be 6+ hours each way, (and that's assuming the seasonal buses start up again next year). Short of flying from Chitose to Membetsu and getting a rental car, practically impossible to do it in a day.
by TheTripod rate this post as useful

Re: a day trip to lake kussharo from sapporo 2022/11/12 19:38
Public transport may not work in February due to bad weather.
For example, February 20th of this year
https://www.pref.hokkaido.lg.jp/ss/stk/saigai.html
On this day and the following day, many JR train services were suspended.
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20220220/k10013493431000.html
Planes may be canceled depending on the weather, so it would be better to travel with plenty of time to spare.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: a day trip to lake kussharo from sapporo 2022/11/16 12:16
Unsure of your intention to visit Kussharo lake in deep winter, not much to see and hardly any visitors at all. It is not impossible to do a day trip, it just sounds very rushed.
I visited a few years ago, but not on a day trip. I took a train to Mashu station and then a bus to my accomodation near the Kusharro lake. There were only 2 of us in the bus; the bus stopped for 15 minutes in Sunayu bus stop allowing ample time for us to enjoy the lake and the swans. As we were the only 2 passengers, the driver gave us a pleasant surprise, he made an impromptu stop at Kotan onsen, which turned out to be the highlight of the day! We felt so lucky to have met Takasaki- san, the driver, and were very grateful for his kindness. The bus stopped at our Hostel, and once we dropped off our luggage, we went back to enjoy the Kotan onsen, a magical place to visit in deep winter.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread