Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shirakawago day trip over New Year holiday? 2022/11/13 06:31
Hi,

We will be visiting Japan during our daughter's college study abroad winter break. We can only visit Shirakawago on either Dec. 31 or Jan. 1. Given the New Year Holiday with many tourist destinations closed, is it worth trying to visit? If so, which day is better?
by rtc1135 (guest)  

Re: Shirakawago day trip over New Year holiday? 2022/11/13 09:53
A lot of locations/building in Shirakawago will be closed both days.

As for worth it. Depends on where you are traveling from. Trains and buses will be busy. So unless you are coming from somewhere close like Toyama/Kanazawa/Takayama, then I wouldn't bother.
by h (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawago day trip over New Year holiday? 2022/11/13 13:51
The inside of the traditional houses is only mildly interesting unless you are really into traditional craft. we went on boxing day several years ago, and saw the inside of one and passed on the rest. Seeing the town was worth the effort (from Takayama). I'd do it again in a different season, but really for us we spent about 3 hours tops, wandered around the town and up the top to look down at the town, then back again, and that was plenty..

The little cafe in town was nice
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawago day trip over New Year holiday? 2022/11/13 14:44
A lot of locations/building in Shirakawago will be closed both days.

Really? Though I can't find 2022/2023 information, 2021/2022 schedule seems to say most of the tourist spots in Hagimachi are open.

https://shirakawa-go.gr.jp/datas/files/2021/12/19/ed90643b3bbab0f72add...

And Yes, it depends on where you are from. Shirakawago is 50 min from Takayama, the nearest city. From Nagoya you must add 2.5 hrs by train. Takayama seems to be not so busy as judged by room availavility on 31th Dec.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawago day trip over New Year holiday? 2022/11/13 14:58
in Hagimachi

Sorry, it is Ogimachi. I always cofuse Ogi with Hagi.

Re: Shirakawago day trip over New Year holiday? 2022/11/14 11:10
Wefll be coming from Kanazawa, where wefll be staying 3 nights (12/30-1/1). Any other alternatives to Shirakawago that youfd recommend for a day trip over the New Year Holiday?
by rtc1135 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawago day trip over New Year holiday? 2022/11/14 12:21
I would check out Ainokura instead of Shirakawago if (!) you have a car.

An other possibility would be some nice onsen in Noto peninsula.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawago day trip over New Year holiday? 2022/11/14 13:58
http://www.hokutetsu.co.jp/highway-bus/takayama

You can take highway bus from Kanazawa station to Shirakawago. This timetable shows 8:10, 9:10, 11:10, and 12:40 departures. It will take 75-85 min. There are later ones, but they seem to be too late. Two to three hours will be enough to see Shirakawago. Return bus departs at 12:20, 13:50, 15:10.

Note that reservation is required. You can reserve online 1 month in advance (now it's not available).

Re: Shirakawago day trip over New Year holiday? 2022/11/15 01:56
Unfortunately, we'll not have a car. Ainokura probably has the same problem with New Year closures. Just found a contact for Shirakawago Tourist Association; will ask if they know re: who'll be open yet. Thanks!
by rtc1135 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread