Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Breakfast Food? 2022/11/20 03:32
Hi All,

I've had way too many Japanese breakfasts to count - but I visited a location in Krakow that served a Japanese breakfast and it served something that I've never seen for breakfast before. I was marinaded salmon (I think in actually half decent Miso). The picture is below

https://goo.gl/maps/27vYDRqnXsbFP7BQ7

Is it just me - or has anyone ever had uncooked fish (sushi etc) for a breakfast dish before?

Normally I'd just put it down to it being a Japanese restaurant being outside of Japan having no idea what is traditional - but it was from a rather specific Japanese museum in Poland (https://manggha.pl/en)

by mfedley  

Re: Japanese Breakfast Food? 2022/11/20 07:53
This is something I could imagine to receive for a ryokan breakfast in Hokkaido or other areas which are famous for salmon. Rather luxurious, and not something the regular family would be eating.

Generally, sashimi is sometimes offered for ryokan breakfasts in areas that are particularly famous for their fresh seafood. I just received some the other day in Kesennuma.

The breakfast on the photo looks absolutely lovely. I could easily imagine it being sold at some trendy restaurant or ryokan in Japan. I just miss a little bit of shininess in the rice.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Breakfast Food? 2022/11/20 08:46
That looks like an arranged version of "zuke 漬け".

Zuke is typically small blocks of red meat tuna (maguro no akami) marinated in soy sauce. It's a great way to enjoy sashimi from the day before. Sashimi, of course, is best when it's fresh from the sea (or at least the boat), so you'd enjoy it after it comes from the market, typically for lunch and/or dinner, and the rest would be marinated and enjoyed for breakfast. A "zuke-don" is rice topped with zuke.

I feel that using salmon is a fun way to bring in some Krakow-ish delight into the Japanese setting, and if it was miso, perhaps the chef found that it most suits the fish rather than the typical soy sauce. I wouldn't be surprised if anything like that was served by an adventurous Japanese chef in an authentic restaurant in Japan.

I'm more stunned, however, by the fact that your miso soup was served in porcelain. The bowl would be too hot to hold in the authentic Japanese way of dining. Also, dragon fruit is something yet to be familiarized in Japan. We've been seeing them in local supermarkets in recent years, but I'm pretty sure that the majority of us here in Japan have never actually had a bite (although, I do personally love it, being a tropical fruit fan).

From your photo, the rice, the tamagoyaki and the zuke "looks" most authentic, although I don't know about the taste.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Breakfast Food? 2022/11/20 19:21
Thanks for the answers.

It may have been soy - but it was nice and strangely the salmon was quite good quality.

The dragonfruit also was a bit odd - and it was a nice meal apart from the egg which was not salty or sweet enough depending on the type of location it's being served.

It was also well priced - 860 yen at current exchange prices (with the yen I know tanking against most currencies).

Your comment about it being potentially seen in salmon famous areas reminds me of a time I may have had it - but I did not really like fish or specifically sashimi at the time (I travelled up to Hokkaido in 2012 and I now remember it in a little cup - nothing as big as the one in the picture I shared which was quite large and meaty....

by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Breakfast Food? 2022/11/21 02:12
I did a homestay in Tokyo about ten years ago, in a family with two young children. We occasionally had donburi with raw fish for breakfast (salmon/negitoro), with sprinkled nori. Scrolling through my pictures, I also saw: karaage, steamed pork, sausages/omelet, bread and jam... and lots of konbini-bought sandwiches/hot dogs/pizzas :D

More recently, I had "negitoro" at a buffet-style hotel breakfast in Sendai and Naruko onsen. The hotel in Sendai also had a salmon/omelet chirashizushi.
by ML (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Breakfast Food? 2022/12/1 17:33
Is the restaurant in Krakow an authentic Japanese one? That can determine whether or not the chef/cooks truly know how to make actual Japanese cuisine, using real Japanese sourced ingredients.
by Christian Hirose Romeo Graham rate this post as useful

reply to this thread