Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nagoya-Tsumago-Takayama drive late December 2022/11/21 09:19
Around xmas time, I'm planning to drive from Nagoya to Kiso Valley, do the Magome-Tsumago hike, overnight in Tsumago and then drive from there to Takayama.

I understand that snow is possible around these parts particularly towards Takayama. I'm a little bit nervous about driving in the snow/icy roads but I see that it's mostly highway driving - will I be ok driving without winter tires? Looking at toyota car rental, there's no availability for cars with winter tires when picking up from Nagoya.

by okk22d  

Re: Nagoya-Tsumago-Takayama drive late December 2022/11/21 14:39
If your nervous about driving in snow and your driving through a potential snowy area - then dont!

It's both potentially dangerous and unless I'm incorrect - also illegal. There are certain locations where I think you have to use snow tyres.

I've visited Tsumago in mid/late December a couple of years and it was snowing.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya-Tsumago-Takayama drive late December 2022/11/22 08:45
Thanks mfedley.

I have been thinking the same but then the timing and the multiple mode of transport going from Tsumago to Takayma is making me want to drive :D

I just tried booking with toyota (japanese site) and I can see the option for "Studless Tire" available. Have submitted a booking request, hopefully it can be confirmed.

by okk22d rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya-Tsumago-Takayama drive late December 2022/11/22 12:32
Have you driven in a blizzard? If you are already nervous about snowy, icy conditions, just imagine driving blind folded in a blizzard.
by aa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya-Tsumago-Takayama drive late December 2022/11/22 13:08
Never even driven in snow let alone blizzard! Obviously I would go to plan b if there was forecast for blizzard.
by okk22d rate this post as useful

reply to this thread