Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

A good traditional ryokan in Kiso Valley? 2022/11/25 07:25
Hi,

We are a young couple from Belgium (Europe) visiting Japan for the first time in March.
We would love to stay and sleep in a Ryokan around the Kiso Valley.
Does anyone know any affordable, but picturesque ryokans in kiso valley that you would recommend to first-timers? Or have a good contact that could help us?

We would appreciate your help.

Thank you in advance
Kind Regards,
Corbin & Jasmien
by CorbinMahieu  

Re: A good traditional ryokan in Kiso Valley? 2022/11/25 18:21
Hi!

There are a few in Magome and Tsumago that look fantastic, but then you might not have a toilet or bathroom in your room. So the older places tend to have the communal toilets in the corridors which is fine unless you have a few drinks and have to pee during the night. If you are OK with that, then I'd look for something old. It is fantastic, but a little inconvenient.

We are visiting in March next year. Previously we stayed at Hotel Kisoji near Tsumago that I wasnt wild on, it is essentially an onsen resort. This time we are staying at Kiso Fukishima which has some nice options. We are staying at Onyado Tsutaya and Kisojino Yado - Iwaya (I couldnt get all 3 nights in one place). I also considered staying at Narai which has fantastic accommodation, but it was off the main line.

by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A good traditional ryokan in Kiso Valley? 2022/11/25 21:58
About a decade ago I stayed at Tajimaya in Magome & it was great. It was lovely being there after the tourists had gone. I would definitely stay there again if I were in that area.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: A good traditional ryokan in Kiso Valley? 2022/11/25 22:43
Here you go: https://www.tsumago-fujioto.jp/en/

They also do some cool meals as well - with enough of stuff that you'll like an enjoy and things for the adventurous (pickled wasp larvae anyone??? - a Kiso Valley Specialty).

The main problem will be availability.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread