Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ryokan and private onsen Hakone late July 2022/12/4 07:10
Hi guys,

I am looking for a recommendation for a Ryokan with a private onsen in Hakone at the end of July 2023. I'd like to surprise my husband with a 2-night stay (wedding anniversary) and can spend up to 600$ per night (less expensive would be lovely as I am operating on a teacher's salary...which is not all that high). I am a bit desperate, because everything seems to be booked solid already or I don't get any answers when I send an inquiry.

Thanks in advance

Conny
by ConDo (guest)  

Re: Ryokan and private onsen Hakone late July 2022/12/4 09:22
I donft have a recommendation for Hakone area, but regarding geverything already being bookedh, thatfs not likely. Itfs quite common that hotels in Japan open their booking only about 3 month out.

I personally wouldnft be very fond of an onsen in the heat of July. Maybe look into Hokkaido or Hachimantai area, if you are on a trip anyway.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Ryokan and private onsen Hakone late July 2022/12/4 17:47
It's been a few years since we've been, but Lalaca at Gora, Hakone is fantastic and very reasonably priced. It has a private onsen but you have to book it. Personally I wouldnt bother, just go mid week and barely anyone will be there.

I should mention though that the water has a very strong sulfur smell. It is great for your skin, but the odour gets into everything.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ryokan and private onsen Hakone late July 2022/12/5 06:05
Are the ryokans fully booked. Short answer - nope!

As likebike said - Ryokans tend to only open up bookings either 3 months or 6 months in advance. Why? I don't know - but Japan likes to Japan, so just go with the flow.

I've got a trip planned for June/July and have not booked half of my accommodation yet for this reason.

If you are looking for 600 USD a night with meals - you should get something for that (potentially with a Fuji view - which will probably be clouded over due to July). The comment about mid week is very important. Prices are much cheaper Sunday-Thursday night as people from Tokyo often go to Hakone for the weekend - thus the increased prices.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread