Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

14 day standard pass or 7 Day green + suica 2022/12/8 03:06
Hi,

I was wondering others thoughts on if I should get a 14 day ordinary car JR pass or a 7 Day green car JR pass and use a IC Card in tokyo? I wont be getting on any bullet train until 7 days into my trip when I leave Tokyo and head south. I want to get the green car pass just to experience it. But I don't know if it would be better to just get the 14 day standard car pass to use around the city of Tokyo for the lines it includes as I will be in Tokyo for 6 days. The cost difference is $58 more to get the standard 14 day pass. The 14 day green car pass is too expensive.
Thanks!
by Mercedes (guest)  

Re: 14 day standard pass or 7 Day green + suica 2022/12/8 07:20
This seems like an unfair comparison. If you get the 14 day normal pass you canft experience the green car. So if the purpose of the 7 day green pass is to have that experience you either need to compare the 14 day green vs 7 day and analyze if you do enough trips in those 14 days to pay off. Or you need to compare the price of the normal passes and compare it f you are going to use enough trains for making the 14 days pass worthwhile.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: 14 day standard pass or 7 Day green + suica 2022/12/8 08:58
JR Pass does not pay off if you are only thinking of making train rides in/around Tokyo for several days - it does not pay off at all for short distance trips. (A guideline: 7-day JR Pass pays off if you make at least a Tokyo – Osaka/Kyoto round trip on Shinkansen within a 7-day period, and a 14-day pays off if you do Tokyo – Kyoto/Osaka – Hiroshima ground triph so back to Tokyo, on Shinkansen within 14 days.)
AND on top of it, you want to experience the green car – then youfd want a Green Car pass for when you take the long-distance trains.
While in Tokyo, you can use SUICA/PASMO IC prepaid card and charge as you go. This can be used on all public transport including JR trains, subways, etc.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: 14 day standard pass or 7 Day green + suica 2022/12/8 09:14
Well not all green class cars are the same and that same is true for ordinary class. Most people wouldn't notice much difference - yes you are more likely to have carpet and a footrest, but if $60 for that over a couple of hours on a train isn't worth it for most people.
Services like the Sakura that JRP users take to get to Hiroshima have much more comfortable 2+2 seating than the usual trains on the Taikido shinkansen. The N700 and N700A is still quite comfortable in ordinary class, and I was impressed at the new design for the N700S I got a couple of weeks back.
And, if it wasn't clear from the other posts, using a JRP around the local lines in Tokyo for a week is a waste of a pass - you're really wasting your money if you are doing that and can fit your longer travel into seven day. And, while you didn't say where you are going, the rail pass is about break-even with a Tokyo-Osaka round trip. Make sure a pass is worth it.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread