Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Help with mailing address 2022/12/14 18:28
Hello! I need help with my mailing address, please. I've found several "helpful" articles on the internet, each with a DIFFERENT way to write out a Japanese mailing address in English... Confusing... But it's made worse by the fact that I live in House B-- "House B" or "Hse B" or "#B", I'm not sure how to write it or where to put it! Thank you for any help you can provide.
by Jen (guest)  

Re: Help with mailing address 2022/12/15 07:59
Just print out the correct address in the local language of the destination, and paste it on your envelope/postcard. Be sure you write the country name and city name in block letters. That's all you need to do.

Once the mail arrives to the correct city, the locals would be able to read it.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Help with mailing address 2022/12/15 13:47
Donft worry too much about it. Just write all parts of the address. The order ultimately doesnft matter that much.
Regarding gHouse Bh the same. There isnft going to be a gHouse Bh , gHse Bh and g#Bh in the same place. Only one building will be gbh. So it will be pretty obvious to the mailman which building you mean
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Help with mailing address 2022/12/16 12:42
I can second what LikeBike says: the order in which you write the address parts actually isn't all that important.

If I'm writing a Japanese address in English, I usually just write everything in the same order and same terminology that it would be written in Japanese. So, for example it would look like this:
Kanagawa-ken, Yokohama-shi, Nishi-ku, Minato Mirai 1-1-1, Room 201, 220-0012, Japan

But I've also had people send me packages from overseas using everything written in the order that it would be in the U.S. postal system, like this:
Minato Mirai 1-1-1, Room 201
Nishi Ward, Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture 220-0012
Japan

and it's been delivered just fine.

Ultimately, it's human beings who deliver the mail, so as long as you have all the information listed, they'll keep forwarding it to the next step down the chain (country ¨ prefecture ¨ city ¨ ward ¨ neighborhood ¨ exact address) until it gets where it needs to go.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread