Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Writing email to minshuku for tattoed guest 2022/12/19 12:56
We are looking at booking a minshuku at Awaji island. Most minshuku has a shared bathroom (non gender separated), one minshuku has 1 onsen available for private booking.

I heard the issue with tattoo in onsen is mainly for entering a bath with other people, so we assume that it should not be the concern if bath/onsen is used by a person at a time. We also not sure if it's a concern to have a tattoed guest at all, as we might pass by other guests at dining room or the common area. So I'd like to mail the minshuku owners for clarification.

I understand a little verbal Japanese, but I need some help on the writing.

Also, should I put both English and Japanese in the email?

Subject: Regarding reservation for tattooed person (タトゥーがある方に対する予約について)

We are a couple from Singapore, planning to book on xx Jan for 1 night.
私たちはシンガポールから来たカップルです. 1月xx日に一日予約をしたいです。

My husband has visible tattoo on his arms, legs and neck.
(私の夫は足、腕、首に目に見えるタトゥーがあります)

(I need suggestion on how to phrase this better) Do you allow tattoed guest/Do you allow us to do booking?
予約はできますか?

Thanks for the suggestion!
by Moccy  

Re: Writing email to minshuku for tattoed guest 2022/12/19 18:00
If you are going to ask, you might want to be specific about the “visible” part, if you are concerned about other guests seeing it (which should be OK, but just to be sure). You might want to say it is on his lower legs so can be seen if he wears short pants, or on lower arms so visible if he is wearing a short-sleeved T-shirt, or on the neck visible even when he wears a collared shirt, or something like that. (I say this because even bathhouses strict about tattoo say it is OK if it is/can be covered with small patches.)

For the last part, I might suggest something like:
As we understand you do not have a large bath (to be shared with others), so I assume it should raise no issue when we bathe, but do you accept staying guests with tattoo?
大浴場はないと理解していますので、入浴の際に問題はないかとは思いますが、タトゥーがある宿泊客も受け入れていますか?

You can put both English and Japanese in the mail, so that they know you would feel more comfortable in English. For the “subject” line, I would just leave it as “Inquiry about reservation” 予約についてお問い合わせ, or something short.

by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Writing email to minshuku for tattoed guest 2022/12/20 01:18
Yes, I think it's a good idea to write both in English and Japanese. It would make it easier for the reader to confirm what the writer wants to say.

I see no problem with what you wrote. But if I were you, I might write it this way:

Subject: Do you accept tattooed guests (タトゥーがある客もOKですか?)

We are a couple from Singapore, planning to book on xx Jan for 1 night.
私たちはシンガポールから来るカップルです. 1月xx日に1泊予約を検討しています。

[NOTE: 予約をしたい means "I want to reserve". In the travel industry, where I used to work, this is the same thing as "Please make a reservation for us now." But since you are only "planning", I would suggest 検討しています. Also, 一日 literally means "1 day" which can be interpreted as "day use only". But what you want is "1 night, 2 days", so I changed it to 1泊 (1 night). Lastly, 来た is "came" and 来る is "coming".]

My husband has visible tattoo on his arms, legs and neck.
(私の夫は脚、腕、首に目に見えるタトゥーがあります)

[NOTE: I don't know what a "non-visible" tattoo is. Perhaps you can just omit "visible" and 目に見える. If he has a tattoo on his neck, that means showing it while bathing is essentially unavoidable. 足 is foot/feet while 脚 is leg(s).]

Do you allow tattooed guest?
タトゥーがあっても泊まれますか?

[NOTE: Thank you for clarifying your concern about the bath, but I understand that what you ultimately want to know is whether they accept your stay or not, so I didn't mention the bath here. I don't think it's necessary. If bathing is a problem, they will tell it to you in their response. ]

I hope it helps.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Writing email to minshuku for tattoed guest 2022/12/20 14:25
Thank you very much, AK and Uco! I really learnt a lot, especially for the phrasing!

Regarding the visible tattoo, he is pretty heavily tattooed from neck to legs and back of the hands. The arms has blackout sleeve tattoo, similarly for the legs.

Since we're going in January, I assume the visibility will be those on the neck and the hand. Not so much on the legs since we're likely wearing yukata or long pants. That's why I'm thinking if mentioning "visible tattoo" is sufficient.

by Moccy rate this post as useful

Re: Writing email to minshuku for tattoed guest 2022/12/20 23:58
How about:

My husband has many tattoos on his arms, legs and neck.
(私の夫は脚、腕、首にたくさんタトゥーがあります)

I just thought that "visible" is a confusing expression.

If you happen to have trouble communicating or being accepted, come back to this forum again.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Writing email to minshuku for tattoed guest 2022/12/23 13:22
Thank you Uco!

I have prepared my content of email. Unfortunately I couldn't submit my inquiry through their website. I'm not sure is it's been submitted since there is no status indicating that my message has been through. Other means of communicating is only fax and phone number.

by Moccy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread