Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

New JR Pass 2022/12/20 08:55
I found this on another forum

"The Rail Pass remains the same size, what is new is that your ticket can be used in the e-gate (and this ticket is attached to your (4" x 6") pass). Note that this is the same size as a normal Shinkansen ticket."

Could someone please explain exactly what this means? is there a "IC card" type thing "attached" to the JR Pass?
So we no longer need to go through the "staffed" gate (although that is very useful with suitcases!)

Is that where all seat bookings etc would be "loaded"??

I cant quite picture in my head what it looks like: would love to see a pic somewhere if a link could be posted?

Just trying to work out how things have changed since we were last in Japan, lol,,,

Thanks!
by AusTF  

Re: New JR Pass 2022/12/20 23:32
When I got mine on 11/21, they told me it is now issued in regular paper ticket only (about 2.25x3.3 inches, or 57x85 mm), no more 4x6" trifolded cardboard paper. I was concerned if the regular paper ticket would withstand 3 weeks of use, and the staff told me it can be re-issued if it gets torn/worn. I kept it well-protected inside my passport and it withstood 3 weeks of use.

by kamahen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: New JR Pass 2022/12/20 23:36
> I found this on another forum

This sounds like a riddle.

It is not clear what "your ticket" and "this ticket" mean
or how the ticket is "attached" to your Japan Rail Pass.

Anyway, Japan Rail Pass got redesigned recently to be a magnetic paper ticket.

Therefore, yes, now you can go through the automatic ticket gate (which this poster calls "e-gate") with your Japan Rail Pass.

> Is that where all seat bookings etc would be "loaded"??

No;
Japan Rail Pass has no data of seat reservation
(e.g. train name, car number, seat number, etc.);
they are indicated by your reserved-seat ticket.

When you receive your reserved-seat ticket for your ride covered by your JRP, make sure to show that pass.

> I cant quite picture in my head what it looks like: would love to see a pic somewhere if a link could be posted?

The second photo in this blog page
shows a Japan Rail Pass which lets you use Green Car seats.
https://4travel.jp/travelogue/11770420

Depending on your itinerary and time line,
there can be another option which is better cost-wise than Japan Rail Pass.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: New JR Pass 2022/12/21 07:45
That other forum post sounds like BS.
The new passes (and not that new, they have been out for over two years) are the size of a regular ticket. You can then also make reservations and get tickets for those journeys - you don't actually need to put those other tickets through the ticket gate. Not having to use the manned entrances is a great time saver.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: New JR Pass 2022/12/21 11:15
The ticket can be used at automatic ticket gates fr JUNE 2020.
The date of the ticket sample (illustration) on the JR-PASS's official website is also JULY 2020.
https://japanrailpass.net/en/useful.html

Most travelers just did not know abt this change bc it was decided before the COVID-19 disaster.

And, it cannot be added to IC cards, this is bc there're still many stns that do not have IC card compatible ticket gates.
by Micotto (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: New JR Pass 2023/2/12 14:54
Does anybody know when using non JR services (like Tokyo Monorail/Ainokaze Toyama Railway etc.), one still need to go through the manned gates? Or now the regular size ticket also works on the automatic ticket gates as well?

Thank you
by admiralchiu rate this post as useful

Re: New JR Pass 2023/2/12 16:17
The new JR pass/ticket isnt gonna work in non JR gates.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: New JR Pass 2023/2/13 08:35
That "other" forum is BS - there have been a ton of reports about the "new" passes - they have been around for over two years!
Tokyo monorail will take the new pass, while not JR, they are owned by JREast and the line was covered by the national pass (and others from JREast).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread