Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Moving and Working in Japan @ 41 2023/1/10 23:27
Hello! Ifm currently working on my Google IT Support Certification. I then plan on working on getting my degree in Software Engineering. This all sounds great, except Ifm starting this at 39 years old!c My goal is to move to Tokyo after graduating. Which should be when Ifm 41 - doing a fast track/pace curriculum. Here in the US itfs a bit easier to make a career change at such an age, especially in IT. But I understand that itfs a lot more challenging in Japan to make a career change at that age. When the time comes, Ifm looking to apply from the US and find a job the will sponsor my work visa. So:

1)How difficult will it be to find an IT/Dev job in Tokyo at 41?

2)And along the same line, how difficult will it be to find an English Teacher job as an ALT in a dispatch company or Eikawa?

Thank you in advance for your comments
by Phillip M (guest)  

Re: Moving and Working in Japan @ 41 2023/1/12 16:40
I think the toughest hurdle would be to find a willing employer to sponser your work visa. Next would be the language barrier, not sure if you speak any Japanese as you didn't mention. If you aren't already taking classes, I would recommend to start asap.

1)How difficult will it be to find an IT/Dev job in Tokyo at 41?

I do not have any experience in the IT/Dev industry but I reckon it would be about the same as any other field - the more experience you have the better, plus if you are already in Japan with a valid working visa all the better. I've no idea about language requirements, might be worthwhile to browse job portals etc to gain a better idea. No idea about your age and whether it will affect your chances in this line (we're the same age btw), traditionally it would not work in your favour but being IT/Dev but I'm not entirely sure.

2)And along the same line, how difficult will it be to find an English Teacher job as an ALT in a dispatch company or Eikawa?

Probably the easier route into Japan to be honest, though don't take my word for it, things might've changed now. The issue here is the salary package and more companies are looking for a bit of teaching experience/some kind of teaching-related qualification. I

I'm sorry that I'm unable to provide more useful advice, perhaps someone here would be able to shed more positive insight into the industry you're interested in. For the record I started studying Japanese when I was 30, came to Japan when I was 33 and have been here ever since.

by King of the World (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving and Working in Japan @ 41 2023/1/13 01:27
Regarding finding work and a sponsor for a visa in Japan...

I know from first hand and my daughter's recent experience that this is possible.

A couple of examples... do 2 different searches... locate companies and schools that hire foreign nationals, particularly English speakers on a regular basis such as the international K-12 schools in Japan like ASIJ, CAJ, etc. as they are always looking for staff of some sort and then there are a number of orgs such as international chambers of commerce and similar like the American Chamber of Commerce Japan, Tokyo American Club (where my daughter got her start) and so on.

There are companies in the USA and elsewhere that also recruit for these international organizations specifically so search for those too and see what the opportunities may be.

I had a career in global management consulting in IT and had opportunities to live and work in Japan etc.

Look for opportunities like above and you MAY, won't say for sure, be able to locate an IT job of some sort in one of those types of organizations.

Hope this helps...

S
by USC4Ever rate this post as useful

Re: Moving and Working in Japan @ 41 2023/1/13 02:12
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questionsc The reason for my questions has less to do on HOW I can get a job, but more on IF I can find a job in Japan as a new grad @ 41 years old - both applying here in the US and once living therec.

Again, here in the US itfs a bit easier to make a career change @ 41, especially in IT. But I hear itfs a lot more challenging in Japan to be hired as a new grad @ 41, even in IT, both cuz of how itfs viewed in the Japanese culture but also because of having no corporate/professional experience at such an age. Nothing in life is impossible, even in Japan, but I want to have realistic expectations.

To repeat, Ifm 39 now and will be working on getting my bachelor degree in Software Engineering. I should graduate at 41 years old. My desire is to move to Tokyo right after graduating. Ifll be working hard to acquire some experience and skills in IT while Ifm attending schooling, and I plan on taking online Japanese classes/courses to have some Japanese conversation skill (hopefully N4 or N3). But I doubt that Ifll have much corporate/professional experience under my belt by the time I wish to move to Japan @ 41 years old. Ifd be willing to go the English Teacher route just to get my foot into Japan. Once in Japan, Ifd work hard as teacher during my first year contract, but also work hard to apply to as many IT/Programming jobs as possible for the last 3-6 mnths of my teaching contract to land an IT/Programing job. Ifm fully aware that Ifll have a better chance of getting a job in IT/Dev if I get 1-2 years of experience in the US first and then apply for jobs in Japan, but I want to move as soon as I graduate. So again, as a fresh new grad @ 41:

1)How difficult will it be to find a job that will sponsor me here in the US as an English Teacher in Tokyo as an ALT in a dispatch company or Eikawa as a new grad @ 41?

2)And how difficult will it be to find a job thatfll sponsor me for an IT/Dev job in Tokyo as a new grad at 41?

Ifd appreciate comments from individuals whofve been or know someone whofs been in a similar situation as the one Ifm describing. Please forward this post to others in hopes that itfll land on the lap of someone who can comment on this. And for anyone else reading this post, please feel free to comment on it. Thank you again for those that have commented already, and thank you in advance for any and everyone who makes an additional comment
by Phillip M rate this post as useful

Re: Moving and Working in Japan @ 41 2023/1/13 07:22
Counter question:
If the answer to your question would be that it will be very difficult to find a teaching / IT job in Japan, what would you do? Stop your current IT studies? Study something else that has for sure no possibility to finding a job in Japan?

IT is one of the two job areas in Japan, where you generally donft need Japanese (or at least there are a considerable number of jobs w/o that requirement). The other job is English teacher. So you are already going in the right direction.

You canft wind back the clock and be an 18 year old.

The only way I could see of you increasing your chances of finding an IT job in Japan would be if you do your IT studies in Japan rather than the US. It wonft guarantee you a job, but you might find some connections and maybe a relevant student job. And if it doesnft work out you still have your IT degree and can use it in the US.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Moving and Working in Japan @ 41 2023/1/13 10:28
One of my relatives (Japanese) has worked for many years in the IT field in Japan, who told me about their hiring practices (just general information, and also a few years back - when one of my non-Japanese acquaintances was looking for a job). He told me most companies tend to hire people up to mid-40s, depending on the candidatesf skills and experiences. You might just make it, but the difficulty might be that you will be fresh out of college, with no IT work experience.

Yet since corporations and the government is promoting gre-skillingh in Japan lately (for their own convenience, but anyways), things might change gradually.

Also - how is your Japanese language? While doing IT development work itself might not require too much of the language, of course you do need to be able to communicate with your colleagues and clients. At least N2 would be considered gworking levelh Japanese.

(By the way, eventually this acquaintance of mine found a job at a Japanese company, with almost zero Japanese language, but this company was one of those that was trying to make English their official language, so that helped, and this guy had plenty of IT work experiences.) Best wishes.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Moving and Working in Japan @ 41 2023/1/13 11:34
@Phillip M

I'd just go for it to be honest mate, plan as best you can and give it your best shot but you must have a plan B, i.e. a backup plan in case all else fails.

I never thought I'd make it either, given the odds stacked against me; e.g. not looking the part of an English native speaker for one, and the fact that there were close to no recruitment drives of any sort in my home country amongst other things...
by King of the World (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving and Working in Japan @ 41 2023/1/22 21:37
Thank you everyone for your comments. I think I understand. Itfs definitely doable, but I have to realistically understand that itfs gonna be hard. Need to have a plan B in case things donft go as expected, but be bold and go for itc Truthfully, the easiest route is to just wait a year or a year and half after graduating to get experienced in IT, and then apply for jobs from here and then move. Meanwhile I can take a certified Japanese language courses here thatfll allows me to achieve N3 - the online Akamonkai course is a certified course approved in Japan. This way it can help me stand out from other candidates, or it can help me go to a Japanese language in Tokyo, and use that as my opportunity to move to Japan - since immigration I hear immigration has gotten alot stricter with those over 30 going to Japanese Language Schools. However, I just want to move to Japan as soon as I graduate at 41 vs 43 with experience under my belt.

So Plan A will be to apply for entry level IT jobs in Japan from here in the US after graduating, Plan B will be to apply for English Teaching job (I have experience working with kids), Plan C wait a year or year and 1/2 to gain experience in IT and then apply. Ifll also take online Japanese courses while living here before moving to Japan to help me stand out in the job market, be able to enroll in a Japanese language school after graduating college, and to better acclimate to Japan because of knowing the language. What are your thoughts?

Re: Moving and Working in Japan @ 41 2023/1/23 07:34
Frankly I think you need a Plan D that hasnft you living in Japan.
Its good to have various plans to live in Japan, but even though you have 3 plans, still none of them may work out.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Moving and Working in Japan @ 41 2023/1/23 11:08
Therefs really no need for plan D cuz it would mean staying here in the states. But it would also mean giving up. Ifm not about that. I know for a fact that my situation isnft original, many have been able to move to Japan much older than me. And wefre talking two fields that I know is in high demand anywhere, especially with experience. If worse comes to worse then it would mean just staying here in the United States, which isnft a bad option at all. But the whole point is to move to Japan to be somewhere different. Ifm confident itfs possible even at my age

Re: Moving and Working in Japan @ 41 2023/1/23 11:08
Therefs really no need for plan D cuz it would mean staying here in the states. But it would also mean giving up. Ifm not about that. I know for a fact that my situation isnft original, many have been able to move to Japan much older than me. And wefre talking two fields that I know is in high demand anywhere, especially with experience. If worse comes to worse then it would mean just staying here in the United States, which isnft a bad option at all. But the whole point is to move to Japan to be somewhere different. Ifm confident itfs possible even at my age

reply to this thread