Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese pension for foreigners 2023/1/12 09:01
Hi all,

could someone help me understand the system please.

The scenario is: one is employed full time with a Japanese company and this company is regularly paying into the national pension system.

I read somewhere that in case of a foreigner (international talent), after only 10 years of contributions one becomes eligible to receive a pension once 67 years old (instead of the standard minimum 25 years of contributions that apply to a Japanese national). As long as the residence of said foreigner is not in Japan anymore.

Is this how it works? Does anyone have any experience of this, and how much roughly are we talking about in terms of monthly pension payments?

Thanks!
by Coffeewhite  

Re: Japanese pension for foreigners 2023/1/12 14:41
What you read about the pension system is wrong here and there that I donft know where to start.

- Several years ago, the minimum of 25 years was changed to 10 years for everyone who is enrolled in the pension program.

- Eligibility starts at 65, though you can delay it.

- You donft have to be residing outside Japan to receive it (unless you are talking about lump sum payment upon leaving Japan).

My non-Japanese husband, who is living in a Japan now, is over 65, has been receiving his pension since he applied for it. (Yes you need to go to the pension office to start receiving it).

- The amount depends completely on what your salary has been, how many years you (and your employer) have contributed into it, so there is no general answer for that.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese pension for foreigners 2023/1/13 08:46
There is quite a lot of good information on the internet about pensions in Japan. The full pension is based on how many months you contribute based on a 40 year (480 month) timeframe between the ages 20 to 59. So if you work/contribute 10 years, you get 25%. Also, the full pension is not particularly generous.
Sample reference:
https://www.nenkin.go.jp/international/japanese-system/nationalpension...
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese pension for foreigners 2023/1/13 11:21
Thank you very much for your answers.

Yes I had a look at various pages on the internet but not being familiar with the system itfs not so easy to understand for me.

The bottom line is, after a minimum of 10 years contributing (hopefully Ifll be doing much more than that) Ifll be getting -something- at least.
This is important to me as I donft have any other national pension anywhere else.

by Coffeewhite rate this post as useful

reply to this thread