Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Does a JR railpass cover to hakone japan? 2023/1/19 09:08
Does a JR railpass cover (LimitExpress) Romance Car to Hakone?
by Adarnim  

Re: Does a JR railpass cover to hakone japan? 2023/1/19 09:55
No, certainly not. The Romance Car is operated by Odakyu Railway and is not covered by JR passes. It is possible to reach Odawara at the entrance to Hakone by JR trains though (see link below). Within Hakone, JR passes are useless. More details:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5206.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Does a JR railpass cover to hakone japan? 2023/1/20 09:56
Thanks, meeting with a friend that offered to pay for travel since I've done accomodation.
Didn't want them to waste their money if my railpass already covered it. :)

Also would it cover most local and / or metro trains?
Sorry, first time getting a pass and being a little muddled by all the different train types along with what works with what... ^_^"
by Adarnim rate this post as useful

Re: Does a JR railpass cover to hakone japan? 2023/1/20 11:19
Metro lines: no
Local lines: if by JR company yes, if another company no. (There are a few exceptions where JR trains use tracks if otger companies, but those are specific cases).

Japan has an incredible number if railway companies and JR are only one of them. Tge biggest by far, but there are many local rail companies. (Btw, technically speaking JR isnt ine company but 4 I think. JR HOKKAIDO, EAST, WESR, KYUSHU). But JR pass works on all of these but no other companies)

Essentially your JR pass needs to pay off for your long distance trips. If then you manage to use it in shorter distances or in a city, thatfs a windfall, but nothing you should build your strategy on.
In Tokyo as a tourist the most likely JR trains you are going to take are Yamanote line, NEX and maybe train out to Kamakura.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Does a JR railpass cover to hakone japan? 2023/1/21 02:02
Japan has thousand of JR pass.Assume you bought JR nationwide pass.now you want to go hakone ?if you dont activate your JR pass

Then i recommend you to buy Odakyu rail 1 day pass=2000 yen, you can get on ,get off freely entire odakyu rail for1 day to go hakone

About subway in tokyo:you can buy 24, 48, 72 hours pass.in this case,you dont need to buy JR nationwide pass.
by Boris (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Does a JR railpass cover to hakone japan? 2023/1/21 08:51
@LikeBike - you forgot JR Central and JR Shikoku in your list.

Well over 100 rail companies in Japan and at least 43 in the greater Tokyo area along. The JR Pass works on JR lines plus a couple of additional ones like the Tokyo Monorail between Hamamatsucho and Handea (owned by JR East). By another metric, JR has just 1/3rd of the stations in Tokyo with over 800, but there are n\more than 2,400 stations in the Tokyo area.
With a JR pass, yes, you can access most places, but it does not provide universal coverage. Just like you can't get a Big Mac from KFC.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Does a JR railpass cover to hakone japan? 2023/1/21 19:10
Thanks everone!

This info has been realy helpful. ^w^

We're using the Romance Car to Hakone due to time restraints, but was considering it for inner-Tokyo travel along with a round trip ells where.

I've used the Pass Calculator and it doesn't seem like it will pay off getting one this time.
by Adarnim rate this post as useful

reply to this thread