Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Furukawa matsuri or Takayama matsuri? 2023/1/22 00:12
We will be in Japan from 7 to 22 April and think seeing a matsuri would be a great opportunity to understand the country better. We are so lucky to come at the time of both Takayama and Furukawa matsuri. I have had a look and I would have preference for the Furukawa as the evening event with the drumming seems more lively and we have found better accommodation compared to the Takayama festival.

Do you have any suggestions? Otherwise our itinerary would be following:

Tokyo 7 to 12
Kyoto 12 to 16
Koyasan 16 to 17
Kanazawa 17 to 18
Takayama and Furukawa 18 to 20
Kinosaki Onsen 20-22 (I know itfs far but it seems so picturesque but happy if you have any suggestions of other nice ones towns)
Osaka or Kobe 22-23 and fly from Kobe
by acavne  

Re: Furukawa matsuri or Takayama matsuri? 2023/1/22 17:00
Hi, looks like a good plan, but for Kinosaki onsen there isnt a lot going on there and the water in the hotels isnt onsen water. So essentially you have to be OK to use the public onsen to make it worth the trip. I thought it was nice to visit but probably overnight.

Consider Hikone for a night to fill the gap, it is a pretty town on Lake Biwa with a nice original castle, we stayed at Hikone Castle Resort and Spa which wasnt a resort at all, just a lovely onsen hotel with views of the castle and fantastic food.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Furukawa matsuri or Takayama matsuri? 2023/1/22 19:44
You should check the dates for the matsuris since it is one of your objectives. Not sure about Furukawa but you would have missed the one at Takayama which is one of the top three in Japan. I hope you have booked your accommodation, prices are going through the roof if there are any left.
by globetrotter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Furukawa matsuri or Takayama matsuri? 2023/1/23 09:25
Takayama festival is 14th and 15th April. I know someone that is going and they have secured accommodation 10km from the city (the place is a rather expensive ryokan - seriously expensive). If you go to Takayama on the 18th you will have missed it.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread