Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suica, JR pass, both, neither? 2023/2/1 16:17
My wife and I are headed to Japan in the beginning of April. We are trying to figure out which, if any, passes/cards we should pick up for our trip.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice offered.

Based on our research, since the answer to our question is highly dependent on the itinerary, we summed it up below:

Day 1) Osaka: Land and spend the rest of the day at Dotonbori
Day 2) Osaka: USJ
Day 3) Kyoto: Explore a bit, including Nishiki Market
Day 4) Kyoto: Fushimi Inari Taisha Shrine, Hanamakoji Street, Maruyama Park Cherry Blossom
Day 5) Kyoto: Arashiyama Bamboo Forest, Kinkaku-ji, Hokan-ji Temple
Day 6) Tokyo: Sushi Dai, Tokyo Solamachi, Akihabara, Tokyo Character Street
Day 7) Tokyo: Shiro-Higefs Cream Puff Factory, Kiddy Land, Laforet Harajuku
Day 8) Tokyo: Shibuya
Day 9) Urayasu: Tokyo Disneyland
Day 10) Urayasu: Disney Sea
Day 11) Leave from Haneda Airport or Narita Airport (TBD)
by JhMc (guest)  

Re: Suica, JR pass, both, neither? 2023/2/1 20:17
You have only one long really long distance travel, from Kyoto to Tokyo. I do not believe the JR pass will pay off. A pay-as-you-go IC card, such as the Suica will come in handy, but a day pass may be helpful, too.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

The name of the IC cards vary by location, but they work just fine when moving about Japan. Suica is the name of the card purchased around Tokyo. Since you are going to be starting in Osaka, you will be Getting an Icoca card. Same card, different name.

I first landed at Tokyo Narita Airport many years ago, so I do own a Suica card. I have used it in Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, and Fukuoka without a problem.

On Your first day, you will probably be to take a Nankai Train from Kansai Airport to Namba(Nankai) station. Since that is the only transportation planned for that day, donft bother getting a pass. The fare is low, and you will probably just pay for a ticket, or use the Icoca Card.

Other days, such as some of the days in Kyoto, look into getting a day bus pass, or something like that. You might ask about a Platt Kodama ticket, to get you from Kyoto to Tokyo. It has to be purchased a day in advance, and can save you some money. The downside is that the Kodama Shinkansen stops at EVERY station, and is slower.

Good Luck, in planning you trip.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread