Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hair dryer/electrical appliances 2023/2/3 00:51
Hello, this might seem like a silly question but I am not getting anywhere with google or trying to find an answer myself, so I thought I would post.

I have a travel hairdryer (voltage is 220-240v) - will this work in Japan (with the correct adapter plug, Ifm from the U.K.)? I have tried doing much research and I have read that Japan is 100v but to be honest I donft really understand voltage or whether this means my appliance will actually work??

I would just like to know if it will work :)

by Em (guest)  

Re: Hair dryer/electrical appliances 2023/2/3 09:03
Hotels in Japan have hairdryers.
Yours is not correct voltage for use in Japan, leave it at home.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Hair dryer/electrical appliances 2023/2/3 12:14
Your dryer operates on 240V. Japan has 100V. Japan will provide less than half the voltage necessary for it to run correctly. It's best to use hotel's dryer.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hair dryer/electrical appliances 2023/2/5 08:26
It would be really cool if your hair dryer has a switch between 120 and 240. But since its heating element and motor run directly off mains voltage, I doubt that such hair dryers exist.

If you don't want to use the ones provides in hotels (basically every hotel provides one, and onsen dressing rooms have them too) - you could look out for a battery-operated one, which will be expensive, not very powerful, and heavy. That is, if they even exist.
by thany rate this post as useful

Re: Hair dryer/electrical appliances 2023/2/5 08:40
No, it will not work. As other posters said all hotels have hair dryers but if you are planning to stay somewhere where there is no hairdryer (but electricity) (I wonder where such a place might be) just get a small travel hairdryer in Japan.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread