Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Clothing requirements in Japan 2023/2/8 18:29
Hi ,
Greetings from the small state of Manipur (a tiny state in the Northeastern part of India).
I am planning to visit Japan in the first – second week of March this year. This will be my first ever time in Japan and will be there for just 5 days. My visit will be mostly concentrated in the Tokyo area and a day trip to Kawaguchiko for spotting Mt. Fuji.
I would be glad if you could kindly let me know what type of clothing should I bring. Should I bring extra warm clothes? Or will a light jacket be enough during the first and second week of March in Japan?
Thanking you in advance.
by Mr Maisnam Rubie (guest)  

Re: Clothing requirements in Japan 2023/2/9 14:26
It's likely to be chilly, or even cold. We were in Yokohama in the first half of March 2018 and it snowed. Plenty of things you can layer is key, since it will be warm inside wherever you are.

Enjoy your time in Japan!
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Clothing requirements in Japan 2023/2/9 15:13
Thank you so much for your kind reply... :) Will do so as advised by you.
by Mr Maisnam Rubie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Clothing requirements in Japan 2023/2/9 19:07
Yea, would agree with the layering advice. And yes in March it can be still pretty chilly.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Clothing requirements in Japan 2023/2/9 19:16
Thank you LikeBIke :) Will prepare the clothing accordingly .... Thanks :)

Re: Clothing requirements in Japan 2023/2/10 07:27
Hi!

Get a pair of gloves and a warm hat and scarf. I find having a warm head and hands makes a huge difference. You don't want to have to walk around with your hands shoved into your pockets, it just makes it hard to do simple things like take a picture.

Keeping your head warm with a hat really helps a lot too.

All three of these things are not so expensive, pack light and are easy to add or subtract as needed.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Clothing requirements in Japan 2023/2/10 07:52
If you do not like the cold, then warm clothing would be required. March and early spring can throw up some quite cold days and even into early April the temperature can fall to 5C or 6C (and with a bit of wind and rain can make things pretty miserable.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo#Climate
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Clothing requirements in Japan 2023/2/10 15:15
Thank you so much :) @ rkold & JapanCustomTours, really appreciate you replying to my query. Will prepare myself with all the things suggested by you. Thanks again :)

Re: Clothing requirements in Japan 2023/2/11 14:32
I understand that Manipur is much warmer than here in Greater Tokyo. For example, our weather forecast for today is expecting 13 degrees C for highest temperature while Manipur is expecting 22 degrees C.

You would be quite fine with warm underwear, warm socks and something like a thin down jacket. Especially in resorts like Kawaguchiko area, the climate would be quite cold for you.

But indoors can be warm due to air-conditioning. Layers of clothing will help you adjust. Tokyo-ites tend to "try" to wear something lighter in March just to bring in the spring mood, but you can't beat weather. A lighter color might help you "look" spring-y while keeping yourself warmer.

I hope you have fun in Japan.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Clothing requirements in Japan 2023/2/12 01:58
Hiiiiiiiii.......Uco, Thank you so much for your recommendation; and I am really impress, you actually took the time to check the place where I am from. :)
Will definitely prepare myself accordingly, and will definitely follow your recommendations. Thanks again :)

reply to this thread