Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Fuji Kawaguchiko questions 2023/3/5 05:52
I'm picking up a rental car and heading to Fuji Kawaguchiko for 3 nights in mid April. Few questions I wanted to get sorted out.

We're renting in Mishima since we're coming from the west. Are there any stops along the way or pull-offs where we can view Fuji from the south? Is Gotemba outlets worth a stop?

It's been a number of years since we last rented. How do we pay highway tolls? Or will we be charged by the rental car company at the end?

I didn't splurge for a hotel with a nice Fuji onsen, but I came across Yurari day use hot springs. Is it worthwhile or a tourist trap?
by jolinn  

Re: Fuji Kawaguchiko questions 2023/3/5 15:30
We're renting in Mishima since we're coming from the west. Are there any stops along the way or pull-offs where we can view Fuji from the south?

If you drive directly and the weather is good, the mountain will be towering before most of the time, but the rest of the scenery and the street are nothing special. If you have time to spare, you could consider a detour via the Mishima Skywalk and the Ashinoko Skyline for some more spectacular scenery.

Is Gotemba outlets worth a stop?

If you like outlet malls, yes. It is probably Japan's best outlet mall.

It's been a number of years since we last rented. How do we pay highway tolls?

You pay with cash or card at the toll booth, or you get an ETC card from the rental outlet and use it to pass through the electronic toll gates. The latter may not be available at all rental outlets. More details:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2354.html

I came across Yurari day use hot springs. Is it worthwhile or a tourist trap?

It is a rather pleasant daytime onsen.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Fuji Kawaguchiko questions 2023/3/6 01:06
Thanks for the reply.

We're picking up our rental car at 2pm and returning it at 12pm at the end. So it may make sense to take the western/longer route through Fujinomiya on the way there in the afternoon and then from Gotemba in the morning before returning the car. That all depends on visibility though.

Thanks for the rec on the Ashinoko skyline, that looks interesting. Actually, is Hakone worth visiting with a car? I've only ever done it by public transport from Tokyo like what most do.
by jolinn rate this post as useful

Re: Fuji Kawaguchiko questions 2023/3/6 07:53
Hakone by car can be very crowded and you can get stuck in traffic. At least on a WE.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread