Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Should I get JR pass versus Suica Card? 2023/3/7 12:06
Hello
First time visiting Japan and would greatly appreciate any help.
Landing in Haneda airport on Sun, staying in hotel close to Shimbashi station from Sun night to Tues night. Planning to visit Sanrio puroland, shibuya, team lab, sensoji shrine, tokyo tower, dotonbori, imperial palace, ginza, on Mon and Tues. Any other recommendations on those dates.
Planning to leave on Wed morning to go to Disney sea and staying at Disney resort on Wed night and Thurs night and seeing disneyland on Wed.
Planning to leave Fri morning to Osaka and staying overnight in Osaka.
Then leaving on Sat morning to go to Kyoto and staying in Kyoto on Sat and Sun night.
Leaving on Mon to go back to Tokyo and staying in Shibuya on Mon night and then leaving on Tues to Haneda Airport.
Is it more cost effective to purchase a JR pass for this trip and should it be 7 days or 14 days. Note I will not be using the JR pass while staying at Disneyresort. OR would it be better to use SUICA card and pay per trip.
Thank You so much in advance for your assistance.

by rose (guest)  

Re: Should I get JR pass versus Suica Card? 2023/3/7 18:25
Please note that gJR Passh makes sense on long-distance rail travel on JR lines, such as Tokyo - Osaka in your itinerary. The guideline is that if you do a greturn triph within a 7-day period, a 7-day Japan Rail Pass pays off. So in your case, you gcanh get the 7-day JR Pass, and start using it with the day when you go from Shinbashi to Disney Land (use the JR route, going Shinbashi - Tokyo - Maihama).

WHile moving in and around Tokyo, you should get a prepaid card, which you can top up as you go, not for saving but for convenience. You can buy either SUICA or PASMO.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Should I get JR pass versus Suica Card? 2023/3/7 21:44
Thank you so much AK for your response

Will get the 7 day JR pass and use from Wed to Tues. is monorail to Haneda airport included in JR pass. Can I use the pass in Osaka and Kyoto?

Which card is better- Suica or pasmo to use the first few days from Sunday to Tues.

Thanks again.
by Rose (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Should I get JR pass versus Suica Card? 2023/3/7 21:51
Suica and Pasmo essentially is the same. But I think a WELCOME SUICA exists that doesnft have a deposit. So that would be best.

You are going to break just about even if the trip Tokyo - Osaka and return on the 7 day pass (remember itfs 7 consecutive days!).

You can definitely get a JR pass, but remember that you only can take the slower Hikari and Kodama trains, no Nozomi which are faster (because of less stops) and more frequent.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Should I get JR pass versus Suica Card? 2023/3/7 23:14
Thank you LikeBike
Would you recommend pre booking hikari or Kodama train. Will the pre booking be on jrpass.com website.
Can I use the jr pass in Osaka and Kyoto
If I do standard pass instead of green, will there be space for luggage. If i prebook and miss the time, can I get another ticket at the station.
Thanks again

Re: Should I get JR pass versus Suica Card? 2023/3/7 23:30

Would you recommend pre booking hikari or Kodama train. Will the pre booking be on jrpass.com website.
>> pre booking or not depends on if you are alone or a group, and when you travel. I personally usually use unreserved on Shinkansen. I just donft like the psychological pressure to need to be at the station at a given time or gneedingh to wait for a train. Nozomi trains (which you canft take off you are getting a JR pass) are just so frequent, that I normally go to the station, but the ticket asks hop on the next Nozomi a few minutes later. I only reserve if I want to take the last train out of I am traveling during very busy season. (although this year for GW I am currently considering to go unreserved). Havenft made up my mind yet.
Any way of you get JR pass, what I read is that if you get it through JR own webpage you can do online reservations. If you do it through an other agency you canft. But JR OS more expensive than thorough agency.

Can I use the jr pass in Osaka and Kyoto
>> Yes and No. Depends where you want to go. JR pass within cities is not extremly useful. As in Kyoto busses are way better to get you to where you actually want to be. And in Osaka the metro is their best way. However depending on your hotel and where you want to go, you might be able to use a JR train. But I would not consider those very local trips when deciding if the pad pays off or not.

If I do standard pass instead of green, will there be space for luggage.
>> I donft think that there is a difference between available space for luggage between green and normal. If you have normal sized luggage you can put over head. If it OSS very big, youfll need to reserve the last row, then you have the right to use the space behind your seat for you r luggage (applies to Tokaido Shinkansen)

If i prebook and miss the time, can I get another ticket at the station.
>> Your ticket itself is still valid (if you travel on the same day) only your reservation is gone. So you can go unreserved or make a new reservation. Btw, if you are at the station too early you can just take the next eligible train and go unreserved.
Btw, you can change your reservation until a few (4??) minutes prior to departure.
Thanks again

Re: Should I get JR pass versus Suica Card? 2023/3/8 01:28
Hi LikeBike
Can I load money in welcome suica and use it for Kyoto buses and metro in Osaka OR do I need to purchase another pass for each city.
Is middle of May considered busy season?
Would you still recommend 7 days jr pass for my trip or without and just pay per trip so that I can use Nozomi train. Is there a day pass for Tokyo, Osaka and kyoto as another alternative to jr pass
Thanks again for your advice.

Re: Should I get JR pass versus Suica Card? 2023/3/8 07:22
@Rose, maybe read the excellent description of the rail system, passes, IC cards on JG first. If then anything remains unclear you are free to come back to this forum:

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357.html

reply to this thread