Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suica vs JR pass 2023/3/8 00:26
Hello my saviours!

Ifll be travelling with my family this april, and we arenft sure which would be better. I would like your opinion on this! This is our itinerary for our Japan trip.

Arriving in tokyo on the 3rd April and leaving for Kyoto on the 6th.
Leaving Kyoto for Nagoya on the 8th of April.
And returning back to tokyo on the 11th of April.

Tokyo 3-6
Kyoto 6-8
Nagoya 8-11
Tokyo 11-15.

So would getting the JR pass be worth it or just stick to suica?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
by Helio22  

Re: Suica vs JR pass 2023/3/8 02:16
You can buy japan bus pass 7 day =15300 yen cover Tokyo ,kyoto, nagoya unlimited time for non consecutive 7 days
by Jo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suica vs JR pass 2023/3/8 02:39
Hey Jo!

Thanks for your reply. I'm comparing whether to get the train pass, not a bus pass as I'm travelling with young children. :(
by Helio22 rate this post as useful

Re: Suica vs JR pass 2023/3/8 03:27
Have you added up the costs of your point-to-point long-distance train rides?
Tokyo > Kyoto is about 13,850 Yen
Kyoto > Nagoya is about 5,700 Yen
Nagoya > Tokyo is about 11,090 Yen, for a total of about 30,640 Yen.
Therefore, you'll benefit from a 7-day Nationwide JR Pass at 29,650 Yen, although the difference is small.

Besides using the pass from Day 6 to Day 11 on JR trains (except for Nozomi /Mizuho shinkansen), JR subways, JR buses and JR ferries, you have an extra day of validity left, so you may use it on Day 5 or Day 12, depending on your travel plan. Just make sure you activate your pass to start on the day you want it to start counting.

I am not sure you can pay a long distance shinkansen ticket with a Suica card. An IC card is usually used for short-distance metro, subway, or buses.
by MC54 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suica vs JR pass 2023/3/8 05:45
Just building on what the previous poster mentioned - purchasing a 14 day pass is probably not going to save you money.

In general - I tend to use JR passes for longer forms of travel along with travel in a bit more rural locations where all or most of the train lines are JR (or Japan Rail lines).

When it comes to major cities like Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto or Nagoya there is a large smattering of private lines which are not included in the JR pass.

For example - I'm currently planning my upcoming trip to Japan and have come across a unique pass which covers the Kanto area for trains and buses which are private lines (non-JR). If you look at this link (https://greater-tokyo-pass.jp/en/rosen/) - the pass covers all of the lines around Tokyo which are not the Grey/White lines which are most of them.

So - you'll still need a Suica or the local equivalent even if you purchase a JR pass. However - there are some great priced local tickets for specific cities which can save you quite a bit of coin if you do your research....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread