Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mount Yoshinoyama (Nara) 2023/3/8 15:04
Hi

1. Nara station to Yoshino station abt 2 hr, any faster way to get there like highway bus?

2. From Yoshino station how far walk to the ropeway? Ropeway cost how much? how frequent & how many mins ride as read long waiting time like how long for example? Ropeway is 2 way up
& down?

3. Assume after ropeway up will be walking on foot till Naka Senbon Park - about how far walk?

4. Then from (3) take shuttle bus from Naka Senbon to Yoshino station? Bus how much how frequent or time table?

Or is it the other way
ie. take bus from Yoshino station to Naka Senbon then walk down all the way to take ropeway down to Yoshino station? Which way is better?

5. Estimate how many hour to spend for this park?

Thanks!
by Cherry (guest)  

Re: Mount Yoshinoyama (Nara) 2023/3/9 11:21
Some of your questions can be answered here:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4150.html

It's in a fairly isolated, rural area. There are no highways so no highway buses. The ropeway station is just a couple minutes from the station. But there could be such a long line of people waiting for it that it just might not be worth it. I just skipped it and walked up. If you still want to take it, it's 450 yen one way or for the round trip, it's 800 yen.
https://goo.gl/diXzUF

Expect a flood of people to be there. Try to avoid weekends also, if possible. From the upper ropeway station it might take you 30 minutes walking uphill to get the the Naka Senbon area, but the reality is that there are many places to see and little places to go off and visit before resuming the climb. Plus lots of people in the way. So it might take you a lot longer - of course, the goal is not just to reach the top, it's the journey going up that is the experience.

I put in half a day there, and still didn't see everything. The more time you have, the better.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mount Yoshinoyama (Nara) 2023/3/9 12:11
I think Yoshino during cherry blossom season is a full day trip. You can plan something for the evening (like dinner in Osaka) but the day I would allow for Yoshino.

As PP mentioned time tables during cherry blossom are meaningless because there will be huge crowds and youfll need to queue.

Definitely go on a weekday if possible.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Mount Yoshinoyama (Nara) 2023/3/9 13:24
What day are you planning on going this year?

When I went a few years ago, I went for a half day and didnt feel like it was enough. I would spend a whole day there.
by jolinn rate this post as useful

Re: Mount Yoshinoyama (Nara) 2023/3/10 02:22
Hi thanks for all yr reply

Hi Ken if skip ropeway up, how far walk (about how many km or mins walk up?) the whole journey till Kami Senbon roughly about how many km so as to have an idea of how big is the park.

Went mount Takaosan before enjoy the walk with autumn foliage spend almost full day as long wait for ropeway & wanted to take chair lift down as never done before :)

Hi LikeBike this round have limited time as need to head back Tokyo on same day

Hi Jolinn plan to go on Monday

9/4 travel from Tokyo to Kyoto (1 nite) - visit Kiyomizudera temple

10/4 visit Fushimi Inari Shrine
Travel to Nara (1 nite) - visit Todaiji temple

11/4 Nara to Yoshino - visit Mount Yoshinoyama
Head back Tokyo!

Hope this plan can workout still planning c by the way how frequent is train from Kyoto to Tokyo using JR rail pass means no Nozomi thanks!

by Cherry (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mount Yoshinoyama (Nara) 2023/3/10 06:32
I guess I'd put it at around 2½-3 miles, or about 4-5 km. I can't give how long it would take you, since I don't know your travel pace, and I said previously, me going there was not trying to see how fast I could reach the top, but seeing all the sights on the way up.
As for how many Hikari trains going up from Kyoto to Tokyo, it is about the same as the reverse - about 1-2X/hour.

Re: Mount Yoshinoyama (Nara) 2023/3/10 10:48
Hi Ken

4-5km is the distance to walk up if to skip the ropeway?

So the whole journey from shami Senbon to kami Senbon is roughly about how many km?

I ask in Km so can judge about how much time need to travel from base to Kami & return, if time not enough then will go till Naka Senbon instead or walk faster so to reach kami, whichever still enjoy the view itfs a beautiful place so I want to visit this time since timing just nice to view cherry blossom but have to watch time to head back Tokyo

My pace 5 km walk is about 1 hr if walk faster about 50min

Train from Nara to Kyoto quite frequent? Thanks!

Re: Mount Yoshinoyama (Nara) 2023/3/10 11:08
Cherry, I think you are not getting the main point here. There will be a lot of people. You canft just stampede through then rushing up the mountain.

BUT I am also failing to see why you think you need to rush.
Eg plan to be at Yoshino station at 10:00 am , then visit and plan to be back at the station at 16:00. Ie you have 6 hours which will allow for a relaxed visit.
When you start taking a train from Yoshino to Tokyo starting at 16:00 you should have plenty of time even though you need to use Hikari or Kodama.

Regarding Shinkansen timetable you can find them online.

Re: Mount Yoshinoyama (Nara) 2023/3/10 12:18
I guess between 4-5 km. I didn't measure it exactly in person, but I do travel with a pedometer. Maybe you can get to the Kami-Senbon in just over an hour. But that is just going to the top, not taking into account all the people in the way, stopping and admiring the blossoms, some other sights like Kinpusenji, etc. Again, I didn't go there to scratch a place off of a bucket list, I wanted to actually experience the place. I hope you can enjoy it as well.

Re: Mount Yoshinoyama (Nara) 2023/3/10 12:31
Hi LikeBike

need time to pick up luggage from hotel near Nara station as thot to go back Tokyo need to take train from Kyoto

now I see that can travel straight from Yoshino to Tokyo without need to go back Nara - Kyoto - Tokyo,
So can spend more time in the park

now question is Yoshino station has big luggage locker or tourist center can keep our luggage for a fee like Takasaki station & karuizawa station?

Thanks!

Re: Mount Yoshinoyama (Nara) 2023/3/10 13:34
Send your luggage the evening before by TaQBin to Tokyo. And just have a small bag with you for the day.

I would not count on the lockers at Yoshino station. Havenft checked if there are any, but even if there are, this is a small station, so likely few lockers that could fill up quickly.

reply to this thread