Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Entering Japan late 20s early 30s is it hard? 2023/3/11 15:24
First and foremost, I want to thank you all for reading my message and for obtaining information that may be beneficial or unpleasant realities based on my age when I come to Japan, I am currently 28 and will be 29 later this year. Last October, I had the opportunity to visit Japan for a two-week trip, becoming a dream come true. I never had the opportunity till recently because of my profession and life route. I'm not getting any younger, so I booked a flight last minute, and it was the most exhilarating, nerve-racking experience I'd ever had. For as long as I can remember, I've been fascinated by Japanese culture (lifestyle, social rules, work, language, etc.). As a result, I decided to take it a step further and apply to language school. I have all of the relevant qualifications (degrees, work experience, etc.) as well as talents to back me up. I've had a handful of interviews but failed due to mistakes or a lack of preparation for the interview, but that won't stop me from trying again. Aside from that, when I was leaving Japan, my taxi driver on the way back to the airport mentioned that it's more easier to acquire a job inside Japan than outside due to having an address and visa transition from student to work. The only thing standing in my way is, of course, the Japanese language. With the exception of the language, I am more than competent for numerous professions (I work in Tech QA). I've been studying for quite some time and am almost at the N5 Skill level. N2 is the bare minimum for many applications, but I'm optimistic that my skills will improve during my time in Japan. I am aware that age prejudice exists in Japan, but I am hoping to gain some information from individuals who have arrived at a later age than I have. It is usually preferable to arrive at a younger age, but better late than never. How was your time, did you feel out of place, do you regret it, or are you enjoying your time and glad you arrived at a later age? I have nothing to hold me back, so I'm ready.
by Tankou (guest)  

Re: Entering Japan late 20s early 30s is it hard? 2023/3/11 20:09
I'm not you, but as a person who lives overseas it's important to understand that it's just a job in another location.

Your original post was not clear if you were referring to applying to a Japanese or English language school as a teacher or student. I'm guessing from the topics after discussed that it's the former.

It's true that being in country helps with jobs most of the time, but I would not recommend doing that without the correct visas.

Also remember that I might be reading you wrong, but you are coming across as quite strong in your desire to live in Japan compared to wanting the do the job which can be a bit off-putting.

Your age is not really a problem, it's not like your in your 50's. Look into working holiday visas for Japan and if you mention your home country others might know more about this
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Entering Japan late 20s early 30s is it hard? 2023/3/11 20:23
I moved to Japan in my mid 40s. Initially with a dependent visa (ie my foreign husband had a job in Japan) and went to language school.
I have very specific skills in drug development and has been working for for 15 years in that industry before coming to Japan. After a few months in Japan (learning Japanese), a Japanese company contacted me and asked if I wanted to join them. I did. an interview with them and joined it as head of department.

After a few years in Japan I moved back to Europe (continuing with the job at the Japanese company). But I missed Japan, so last year I moved back to Japan. Now with a new job, but always in the same field.

So, no, I wouldnft say that there is age discrimination (at least not until you reach 60). But if you find a job in Japan or not highly depends on your job experience and how transferable that skill is for Japan. Eg if you are a customer agent, then language is important and your Japanese wonft be good enoughc unless it is a job that specifically requires English. So if YOU can find a job in Japan I cannot judge. You say you do something in IT. That is generally a good way into Japan. But I know nothing about IT to be able to advise which routes exist.

Regarding your Japanese level. N5 is a start, but very basic. Getting to N2 took me about 1,5 years of intensive language course. (4h / day + 2-3 h of homework/day). So you are still far away from that. In my experience just by being in Japan the language doesnft improve that much maybe because reading is so much more difficult. Just to give you a benchmark. I learned also Italian and Spanish in my life and am fluent in both ( more fluent than in Japanese) and for both languages it took about 2 months of intensive class to get to a level to be able to communicate in most situations and then improve by myself through simply being in Italy \ Spain.

If you have the funds get a student visa and study Japanese for a year and look for a job in your field while you are studying. Worst case you donft find a job but learned Japanese. And have been living in Japan which is different from being here for 2 weeks of vacation.

I assume you have a university degree. If not it is considerably harder to get a work visa (less categories available).
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Entering Japan late 20s early 30s is it hard? 2023/3/12 00:31
my taxi driver on the way back to the airport mentioned that it's more easier to acquire a job inside Japan than outside due to having an address and visa transition from student to work.

I got the impression that the OP is aiming to enter Japan as a student, under a student visa, and then, while in Japan, getting a job to earn a living. I thought the OP may be asking if it's too late/difficult to step up from student to career at late 20s or older.

If so, my answer is yes and no. First of all, my understanding is that there is no discrimination whatsoever to become a student in Japan at any age. Sure, once you become one, some kids in your college classes may think it's odd to see someone a lot older, but there will be a decent amount of classmates that don't mind about age as long as you're a serious student. (I'm speaking from experience.)

Meanwhile, if you have never had a career at your late 20s, employers-to-be will wonder what you have been doing for all these years. I don't think this is unique to Japan. But a lot of employers in Japan don't expect you to quit right after the company spends their money to train you for months. So, they hope to think that you're not the person who had been unqualified for years, or not the person who would keep quitting jobs for the smallest reasons without trying. I'm not sure if you call that "age discrimination."

Yet, you have to face the fact that there are a certain percentage of people who grew old without those opportunities, because they couldn't adjust to the current society. So, employers do tend to have second thoughts. If you can prove yourself to be a serious worker who can cooperate with colleagues, then I don't think age would be an issue. (I'm speaking from experience about this too.)

Lastly, I don't know how easy or hard it is to get a student visa, but I believe it has little or nothing to do with age.

So, entering Japan late 20s early 30s, is it hard? I don't know if it is hard for you specifically, but it should have little to do with age.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Entering Japan late 20s early 30s is it hard? 2023/3/12 01:00
Re; other people

I might be wrong but I don't know if many language schools which hold interviews for students, apart from showing you have a certain language level to be successful

Re: Entering Japan late 20s early 30s is it hard? 2023/3/12 05:58
I think OP needs to come back to explain better what she/he intends to do.

- language school: do you mean being a student (of Japanese) or a teacher (of English)?
- student: do you intend to study at university in Japan (something different from Japanese)?
- current highest education
- current career

All PP ( me included) seem to operate under different assumptions. Eg I thought you intended to become a student at a Japanese language school and then find a job in IT. Medford seems to assume that you want to become an English teacher and have no experience and Uji seems to assume that you had no career so far and plan to study at university in Japan and then look for a job after graduating in your early 30s. (If I understood the other PPs correctly)
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Entering Japan late 20s early 30s is it hard? 2023/3/12 12:26
When you say you applied with a glanguage school,h i am assuming that you applied for a teaching position in an English language school? (If thatfs the case, your gwork experienceh doesnft really count unless you already have some experience teaching English to non-native speakers of the English language.)

When they say itfs easier when you are galready in Japan,h what they really mean is that you already have a valid resident status, such as another employer-sponsored work-permitting one, spouse of Japanese national, etc. They donft mean just being in Japan. Also for people who are here on gstudenth status, it is not necessarily geasierh to land a job, because the employer needs to do the whole sponsorship process in any case (to change from gstudenth to one of the work-permitting status); i admit it is easier in the sense of being physically in Japan and having the time to go to interviews, etc., though some go job hunting under gdesignated activitiesh status AFTER theyfve used up their time as students.

When you say gtech QA,h exactly what do you do? What industry, is it a licensed profession, etc. If it is in the IT field, there is a likelihood that you might not need the language (except in customer-facing positions, of course). You might want to sign up with some IT-specific recruitment agencies so that you can find out if there is a demand for non-Japanese staff, with experiences with a specific programming language/area within IT. Best wishes.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Entering Japan late 20s early 30s is it hard? 2023/3/12 20:02
For the record, I don't think Uji has joined this thread yet. And I don't assume that the OP had no career so far and plan to study at university in Japan and then look for a job after graduating in his/her early 30s.

In my earlier post, I was just saying that such people exist, and therefore employers try to think more thoroughly before hiring someone older. I was trying to answer about the "discrimination" part. I have no idea about the OP's background.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Entering Japan late 20s early 30s is it hard? 2023/3/12 21:52
To save us talking in circles trying to help the original poster - I think we should not respond until we get some clarifications like the ones well mentioned above.

Good pickup from the other posters.....

Re: Entering Japan late 20s early 30s is it hard? 2023/3/13 16:03
@Tankou

I failed my original course in Univeristy (still got a consulation degree), started studying Japanese part-time at 28 while I worked a regular desk job. Did a TESOL diploma part-time as well when I was about 30 or so, passed N2 before I came, got lucky came here to work and teach at 32. Did a couple of years teaching then got another job and I'm still living here in my forties now.

imo the JLPT is useful but only to a certain extent and at the initial stages, my personal experience is that working/making friends has helped me a lot more.
by King of the World (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread