Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

For how long can I stay jobless? 2023/3/12 09:56
Hey
I have 3-year working visa and I renewed it recently. I would like to know what will happen if I quit my job and leave the country for a while? (less than a year, obviously)
Will my resident card remain valid until expiration date?
Can I exit/enter the country given the circumstances?
I kind of know that I need to inform municipal office if I changed my status/job etc. but I don't know how it may affect my situation.

Basically, I want to know if I can take a break without losing my opportunity.

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience.
by Nya (guest)  

Re: For how long can I stay jobless? 2023/3/12 12:37
When you quit your work, both your employer and yourself need to inform the immigration authorities of the fact within 14 days of your quitting.

There is (1) staying in Japan after youfve quit your job, and (2) leaving Japan after youfve quit your job.

For (1), it is said that itfs ok you stay in Japan for a gfew monthsh unemployed while you look for another work.
But for (2), as you leave Japan, you would tell (if asked) the immigration officer that youfre coming back in a few weeks/months (just a vacation) to return to work at the same employer (which would be a lie), or to come back to Japan to look for a new job? Ifm not sure if that would work. 

If you want to keep the resident status, it would be gsaferh for you to stay in Japan and indeed look for a new work, because your resident status is founded on the fact that you want to stay in Japan to work and that an employer wants you here to work for them.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread