Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Spending Golden Week in Tokyo 2023/3/12 10:18
I'll be spending six weeks in Japan in 2024, from March to May. This will cover Golden Week. I understand that Golden Week is a really busy time for holidaymakers and domestic travel in Japan, and popular places and trains etc will be really crowded and prices at a peak. To avoid this, my thoughts are that if I have to be somewhere that week, then Tokyo would be a safer bet. Would you recommend this strategy? Any related tips? Thanks.
by SMacNZ  

Re: Spending Golden Week in Tokyo 2023/3/12 11:28
The big cities are often less crowded during Golden Week, except for theme parks and the like. Actually, elsewhere online I see a lot of newbies freak out about Golden Week constantly. I've lived through a dozen of them, and they do not have to be that bad, as long as you know how they work and you don't just follow the crowd. There is a huge exodus of people from the cities from the start, and their return at the end. As long as you aren't fighting the crowds for those limited train seats, and going to the same popular resorts etc., you can do pretty well. As a tourist you are not subject to the same work schedule as those living in Japan, so it is possible to time your travels to avoid the mobs.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spending Golden Week in Tokyo 2023/3/12 21:52
I'm not sure what your interests are but it is nice to spend time in Tohoku like Morioka, Aomorii, or Hokkaido during the GW. You may see cherry blossoms. After the holiday, you can spend time in mojor cities, I think. Please enjoy Japan.
by TYO3 rate this post as useful

Re: Spending Golden Week in Tokyo 2023/3/12 22:18
Whatever the area, there will be crowd wherever people can have fun.

To avoid this, I, as a local resident of Greater Tokyo, either stay home or just take a walk in my very little neighborhood. If I go buy groceries to my nearest market area, there will already be a certain amount of visitors coming to see friends.

I wonder what your interests are. For example, you could visit tiny galleries and tiny museums that are scattered at certain city centers, unknown temples and shrines that usually just serve the residents of the residential area they're located in, or parks that are so vast you can't bump into people.

Just try to avoid whatever is on a guidebook, and instead, ask for recommendations at your hotel or at your local train station. Actually, a similar thing can be said about any part of Japan.

Another option is to depart before the holidays to a very remote island and stay there while enjoying nature and food.

This is a mere example of a less crowded place in Tokyo:
https://ins.kahaku.go.jp/english/index.php
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Spending Golden Week in Tokyo 2023/3/13 17:05
Thank-you Uco, TYO3 and Ken for your comments. All very helpful. I think spending GW in Tokyo will be my strategy - I'm keen to explore places I haven't seen before. This will be my fourth visit to Japan so I have ticked off most of the big 'tourist must-dos'. I am very interested in experiencing authentic Japanese life and meeting locals. I will be spending three weeks at a language school, and one week walking the Nakasendo Way, and I'm considering visits to Yoshino to see cherry blossoms, and also the Noto Peninsular - both places I haven't been before. There is such a wealth of places to go and things to do it's hard making plans - but I'm looking forward to it so much! :)
by SMacNZ rate this post as useful

reply to this thread