Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Arashiyama + Nara for a day? 2023/3/13 22:21
I will stay at Kyoto for 3D/2N and plan to go to Arashiyama in the very early morning for that Bamboo forest, Togetsu-kyo Bridge and Sagano Scenic Railway on day 2.

At noon I will go to Nara by train approx 55mins

I will spend 1,5 - 2 hours at Nara Park and catch the scenic train at 15.50.

I know I will make and up and down trips since I stay at Kyoto. Do you have any suggestion?Is it worth it? or should I just visiting Nara that day?

I would appreciate your advice, thank you

by IDA (guest)  

Re: Arashiyama + Nara for a day? 2023/3/14 07:46
Nope. That 4 hours of train travel.

Not enough time to do both. Both need at least a full day each.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama + Nara for a day? 2023/3/14 07:52
Ummc do I understand correctly:
- early morning outside sightseeing in Arashiyama
- then travel from Arashiyama to Nara
- early afternoon outside sightseeing in Nara
- then travel back to Arashiyama to catch the 15:50 Sagano scenic railway
???

The immediate question that comes to mind, why not do Nara in the morning and Arashiyama and the Sagano railway in the afternoon.

I mean overall to combine Arashiyama and Nara in one day is a whirlwind but if you get up early enough and donft do too much sightseeing in either place itfs doable. But doing it forward and backward? ??
In Nara I would however at least visit the Daibutsu. Itfs right in Nara park and an impressive old building (I think the biggest wooden building and has the huge Buddha).
In Arashiyama if time allows I would visit the Tenryuji if time allows.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama + Nara for a day? 2023/3/14 17:52
Thank you for the answer, it really helps.

@LikeBike, the reason I go to Arashiyama in the very early morning and Nara afterward because I've bought the last scenery train of that day at 15.50 from Nara to Kyoto ;)
by IDA (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama + Nara for a day? 2023/3/14 19:50
@LikeBike, the reason I go to Arashiyama in the very early morning and Nara afterward because I've bought the last scenery train of that day at 15.50 from Nara to Kyoto ;)

Please check that again. The Sagano scenic railway does NOT travel between Nara and Kyoto. It travels between Arashiyama and Kameoka:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3965.html

Did you buy a ticket for some other special train?
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama + Nara for a day? 2023/3/14 20:00

The OP is very likely talking about Aoniyoshi express: https://www.kintetsu.co.jp/foreign/english/aoniyoshi/
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama 2023/3/14 20:57
Hi everyone ! can I use the Keihan railway sightseeing pass for buses and subway ? If I am not wrong, someone mentioned about the colour of buses ? so does it affect this pass ? thank you !
by JAC (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama + Nara for a day? 2023/3/14 21:45
@LikeBike Kintetsu Aoniyoshi express is probably meant.

It depends on whether you are interested in temples and shrines, as there are many in both Arashiyama and Nara. Otherwise, it's probably a manageable plan. But for example, I always had one day reserved for both places.
by LP (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama + Nara for a day? 2023/3/14 21:47
I did wake up early one morning in Kyoto and go to through the bamboo forest, and it was magical. It was on an early October morning, around 6:00 AM, and other than a monk or two, I was alone in the early morning mist. If that is the experience you are looking for, go for it.

I took a JR train from Kyoto Station to Saga Arashiyama station, and then went through a maze of side streets to get to the bamboo forest. I completely understand when students are depicted getting glosth on a school field trip to Kyoto. I did too.

Is this your only day in Kyoto? If not, do Nara on a separate day. I usually plan a day where I go early to Nara on the JR line, and then stop at Inari station to go to the Inari Shrine. Inari Station is on the Nara Line between Kyoto and Nara.

My day is not over because I then head north to the Gion District, and then to the Philosopherfs path and Temples in the Eastern District of Kyoto.

My suggestion would not be to go to Nara on the same day, but to see attractions on the northern side of Kyoto, before returning for the scenic railway.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread