Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass for two months? 2023/3/15 19:45
Hi, I will be visiting Japan for the first time, for nearly two months throughout April and May. I don't want to plan an entire itinerary, as I like to be spontaneous. However, I do plan on going from Tokyo and all the way down south, before going up north to Hokkaido, and then back to Tokyo to fly home. I will obviously be making a lot of stops along the way both north and south.

Does any of you have experience with an itinerary like mine? If so, is the JR pass worth it for this kind of trip? And is it even possible to purchase two JR passes, so that they would cover up 6 weeks of my trip? My plan was to spend the uncovered time in Tokyo and somewhere else nice.

Also one last question, does anyone have experience with solo backpacking in Okinawa? Is it worth it, especially the Yaeyama Islands.

Thanks in advance!
by Augusth8  

Re: JR Pass for two months? 2023/3/17 00:02
There isnft only the JR pass. There are a lot of regional passes. Plus there are normal tickets. Normally in a 2 months trip you are not going to move often / far enough to make 6 weeks worth of pass pay off. But regional passes combined with some shorter JR passes can work.
AlsO look into domestic flights.
And potentially an open jar ticket wher le you start inTokyo but finish I letfs say Hokkaido.

All the passes are explained in a dedicated page on the JG.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass for two months? 2023/3/17 07:16
As said above, you have to travel far and fast enough to make a pass worth it. Those with very long itineraries are often basing themselves in one place, and then making lots of local day trips - that makes it hard to justify a pass - not impossible, but a lot tougher. A series of regional passes might suit you better.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357.html

There is a ton of misinformation out there along the lines of if you are going to Japan for 2 weeks, then the 14-day pass is the one you want. But local travel adds very little value to the passes - they are made for long distance travel, especially by bullet train.

And if going very long distance, then flying just makes more sense. You can use some discount fares for foreign tourists from ANA and JAL, such as JAL's Explorer Fare, for about 11,000 per flight (or less for some routes, or a bit more for weekends).
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass for two months? 2023/3/17 08:29
Buying multiple passes as long as they do not overlap is no issue.
Making lots of stops is also a bit of a red-herring - it is how far you go that really determines cost.
Having done several long trips across the country, you can easily find shorter passes might provide better savings than getting multiple three week passes.
As an example, my recent 30 day trip we flew Tokyo to Sapporo to save time and then used a 14-day pass for the initial period. Even if we had used rail to Sapporo, would still have only got one 14-day pass. For the balance of the trip (16 days), passes would have had minimal value/savings, but much more hassle.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass for two months? 2023/3/17 10:56
I have quite a lot of experience using one three-week JR pass for a wonderful month-long trip that got excellent value (twice face value or sometimes more) out of the pass while giving me a nice balance of day trips, transit days from one ghome baseh to another, and days with little train travel. But I donft think I would consider using two three-week JR passes for a two-month period. It wears me out just to think about it. If I had two months for a trip, Ifd probably get one three-week pass, use it as I have described above, and spend the rest of the time centered in Kansai, where I would take advantage of the large number of JR and non-JR passes of shorter duration. And also spend a good chunk of time in Tokyo. I might also throw a long one-way domestic air flight into the mix.

But good luck planning all of this! A few tips would be to choose ghome baseh cities strategically, to always pick hotels that are very close to a major JR station (generally a shinkansen station), to learn how to use JR Cyberstation to assess seat availability on shinkansen and limited express trains, to time your long-distance train-riding efficiently (start early so you can use the gdeadh period before sightseeing venues open, and/or eat your evening meal on the train), and to try never to go near an in-person JR ticket office (midori no madoguchi) unless you absolutely have to. (In recent years this last point has become more and more essential.)
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass for two months? 2023/3/17 17:40
Thanks for your replies everyone!

I am a bit surprised that no one recommends the JR pass haha, as I've looked on the rail pass calculator, which says that it would about cut even to buying tickets individually.
I Plan on losely following the Great Traverse of Japan itinerary here on Japan Guide, but then just spending more time at the cool locations and doing some hiking.

Also why is it a good idea to learn how to use the JR machine instead of going to their office?

Thanks!
by Augusth8 rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass for two months? 2023/3/17 19:49
Rail pass decisions are largely based on cost-effectiveness, but there are various other factors (pros and cons) other than a strict gbreak evenh criterion. And cost-effectiveness can be low if you are not taking a lot of long-distance trains. It depends a lot on how you use the pass. Spending gmore time at cool locationsh will really start to suck the value out of your pass,.

The problem with the ticket offices is that these days nearly everyone (especially residents) makes their train arrangements online or at machines, so they only go to the staffed windows if they have gproblemsh or complicated arrangements. These typically tie up an agent for a lengthy period of time, sometimes more than 10 minutes for an individual. So, for example, take a typical ticket office with 2 or 3 agents working and 20 people in line, and you do the mathc

But the situation can vary greatly. Sometimes there can be no wait at a ticket office, or just a brief one. If you are in a situation where you really have to go to a staffed office (for example, if you want to change a reservation), first thing in the morning is typically less crowded. Also, at some big stations there may be more than one ticket office, with a long line at one but not at another. (I found this to be the case at Kyoto Station last month.) Another thing that can help is to go to a JR Travel Service Center to make train reservations. These are sometimes slower than ticket offices, but sometimes not busy at all.

The absolute best situation is if you can make reservations online. So if you plan to buy a JR pass, get it through the official online site that allows you to do so. Second-best is to use the machines. But if you have the ability to book online you can also cancel (and therefore change) existing reservations online, which can come in very handy.
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass for two months? 2023/3/18 08:19
I've looked on the rail pass calculator, which says that it would about cut even to buying tickets individually.
If you are around break-even, then other considerations come into play. For the core shinkansen network that includes fewer transfers, more trains, shorter travel times, and not having to deal with some of the other restrictions the JR pass imposes.
Yes, there are some people that like the idea of being able to add "free" excursions that are not planned, and it does depend on what kind of travel you enjoy. I have certainly made some huge savings with JR passes over the years, but I pick and choose which trips I use them for these days. Across autumn 2022 and spring 2023 that translates into two trips with passes (mainly due to the addition of a stop in Sendai), and six without. Back to Tokyo today - single tickets - no pass in sight.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread