Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visiting the 3 shrines in Kumano 2023/3/18 12:51
Hello,

We are a couple in our 70s. We are active, but our knees are not as good as when we were young so we will only do short walks. We will be renting a car, and want to visit Kumano in the Fall. I have reserved 2 nights for Akame 48 waterfalls, and thought it maybe ok to simply book 2 nights in Katsuura to visit the 3 shrines. My timeline is to visit Kumano Hongu shrine on our way to Katsuura from Akame 48 waterfalls, stay the first night, then do Kumano Nachi Taisha, Seiganto-ji Temple and Nachi waterfall for 2nd day. We will then visit the last shrine, Kumano Hayatama Taisha after we check out of the hotel on our way to Shima. Do you think we will have ample time to see these, or should we stay an extra night if time is too tight or that there are other things we should see? Thank you so much in advance.
by Dopeybear  

Re: Visiting the 3 shrines in Kumano 2023/3/19 07:16
How are you getting from Akame 48 waterfalls to Kumano Hongu Taisha? There's very limited transport options, I don't know if you have enough time to get there and to Katsuura in the one day.

I have done Nachi Falls and Hongu Taisha in one day. It required an early (8am) bus to Nachi Falls, followed by a noon bus to Hongu Taisha. After that I think there is only one bus back to Katsuura, so you need to time it out well (I stayed in a nearby onsen town for the night before going to Shingu the next morning).

You can find all of the bus timetables for the Kumano area on the Tanabe City Kumano Tourism site, which will help you work out if 2 or 3 nights is best: https://www.tb-kumano.jp/en/transport/bus/
by kawaiimon rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting the 3 shrines in Kumano 2023/3/19 08:19
Thank you so much for your reply. We will be driving, so that we will be more flexible. The time needed from Akame to Kumano Honga is around 3 hours and change. We estimate to be there around 1:00 pm. In this way, we do have half a day to see the area. You think that will be enough? Thanks.
by Dopeybear rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting the 3 shrines in Kumano 2023/3/19 09:14
Thank you so much for your reply. We will be driving, so that we will be more flexible. The time needed from Akame to Kumano Honga is around 3 hours and change. We estimate to be there around 1:00 pm. In this way, we do have half a day to see the area. You think that will be enough? Thanks.
by Dopeybear rate this post as useful

reply to this thread