Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hiroshima/Miyajima vs Naoshima 2023/3/22 09:28
We are adding two days to our trip where we explored Tokyo, Kanazawa/KaganOnsen and Kyoto. From Kyoto we are debating a side trip to Naoshima or a sidetrip to Hiroshima & Miyajima. We depart from Osaka. (We also have the option of exploring Izu Peninsula and departing from Tokyo. Any strong opinions? Is any location too hard to get to from Kyoto?
by gancedo  

Re: Hiroshima/Miyajima vs Naoshima 2023/3/22 16:56
What time of year are you going? I wasnt a fan of Hiroshima city but quite liked Miyajima overnight, and found the air quite nice and fresh there with the stiff sea breezes whereas Hiroshima was grimy and smoggy. Miyajima looks better in pictures than it really is, but if I lower your expectations you will have more fun.

I quite like Izu peninsula as well Ito and Shuzenji in particular, didnt get to Shimoda unfortunately) and would choose that over Hiroshima/Miyajima.

Naoshima looks nice, havent been.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima/Miyajima vs Naoshima 2023/3/22 16:58
I'd pick Hiroshima. Quickest and easiest to get to of all those options given.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima/Miyajima vs Naoshima 2023/3/22 17:35
I have been to all 3 locations. My personal pick would be Naoshima because some of the museums on that island are very special. If you like modern architecture and modern art.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima/Miyajima vs Naoshima 2023/3/22 20:27
3 quite different locations, offering different attractions.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima/Miyajima vs Naoshima 2023/3/22 21:49
Naoshima is a very unique place. With 2 days, if you find that you enjoy Naoshima, you can visit other art islands, like Inujima or Teshima, OR you could tour Okayama and Kurashiki or Takamatsu with the other day.

For Hiroshima, its history makes it a unique place in the world, and the atomic bomb memorial museum is an excellent place to learn about it. If you go, don't plan too much afterwards, because it is obviously a very sad place and leaves visitors contemplative. It's not the sort of tourist spot you check off the list and move on from. Allowing yourself time to decompress is important.

Aside from the atomic bomb sites, Hiroshima City has a few attractions, like Shukkeien and Hiroshima Castle. Miyajima is of course nice, and I think the torii rennovations are complete, so it should be good to visit.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima/Miyajima vs Naoshima 2023/3/22 21:58
As this will be your first visit to Japan, I would highly recommend Hiroshima and Miyajima, and certainly a stopover in Hemeiji castle, or even interesting Kurashiki.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima/Miyajima vs Naoshima 2023/3/23 00:14
Thank you for the input! Very helpful. The trip is in a few weeks so availability might be the deciding factor. Thanks again!
by M. White (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima/Miyajima vs Naoshima 2023/3/23 08:26
I have done a lot of different visit combinations to Naoshima, Hiroshima, Miyajima and also Izu. They are quite different locations, but Hiroshima and Miyajima are quite good combined. (I've never found Hiroshima to be smoggy.) Certainly a lot to see and places to go in/around the city.
Naoshima presents some extra challenges in getting to and around the island, accommodation and food options. I have done it as day trips (Okayama or Takamatsu), staying on the island and as a stop-off between two other cites (not recommended, had a guest that insisted on this as an inclusion and it annoyed their friends). If you are a big art fan, then it can be a really great spot to visit.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima/Miyajima vs Naoshima 2023/3/23 09:14
Thank you! Is a night in Kurashiki one that you could combine with a night in Naoshima?
by gancedo rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima/Miyajima vs Naoshima 2023/3/25 18:33
You can visit Naoshima from Kurashiki. I recommend trying to get an early ferry to maximize your time in Naoshima. If you are staying in Naoshima, though, maybe it doesn't matter as much.
by Fen (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread