Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

4 nights Kyoto 2023/4/10 09:14
A group of 4 friends plan to spend 4 nights in Kyoto around 3rd week November. Thinking of splitting 2 nights in Gion and 2 nights in Arashiyama area. Would this make sense or better to stay put in one accommodation? Worry about having to move with the luggage as it will be peak season. . Should we take the train or book a taxi? The hotel we plan to stay is about 10 mins walk to train station. Appreciate advice on this. Thanks
by AC (guest)  

Re: 4 nights Kyoto 2023/4/10 11:50
Just stay put in one hotel, but consider changing to a hotel closer to a station. Train/subway system in Kyoto is not well developed like Tokyo or Osaka, so you may need to utilize the bus sometimes.

by ITO (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4 nights Kyoto 2023/4/10 13:12
Stay at one location. Both mentioned have train/subway access.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4 nights Kyoto 2023/4/10 13:53
Not disagreeing for the sake of it, but I would stay in the two locations, personally, and have 2 nights in a ryokan, and two in a hotel. Any more than two in a ryokan and the food gets to be too much, IMO.

We recently stayed at Kyokoyado Yasaka Yutone ryokan at Kyoto, which is in one of the Gion shopping streets just near Yasaka Pagoda (one of the streets that leads up to Kiyomizudera), the food was the best that I have eaten anywhere, ever, the rooms are very nice (we had the downstairs room) and the location is fantastic.

I've not stayed in the Arashiyama area, but it is very pretty there. With 4 of you, it will probably be as cheap to grab taxis, so I wouldnt be staying in the middle of town for the train stations, especially not around the Kyoto Station area which is pretty ugly.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4 nights Kyoto 2023/4/10 14:22
If you can choose one hotel in a convenient location, that is usually the better way to go. Switching hotels with your bags is a big pain. The Higashiyama area is a very good area to stay in. There are a large number of very good temples all packed together, and you don't waste any time going from one to the next. But even better, there are subway, Hankyu and Keihan stations all closeby, so getting around the city from there is much more convenient. A lot depends on where you want to go, of course, both in Kyoto as well as some possible day trips to see Uji, Nara, Himeji, Osaka, Kobe, Hikone, etc.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4 nights Kyoto 2023/4/10 14:24
Thanks for the comments
Staying in 2 different districts - one in the city and one in the rural gives variation. Also, I hope to get to the Bamboo Forest early in the morning. Taxis maybe the solution but we might need 2 taxis with luggage in tow. Also whether taxis are easily available during the peak season. Anyone knows roughly how much it cost for taxis in Kyoto?
by AC (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4 nights Kyoto 2023/4/10 15:58
In my experience it is unusual to spend more than 3000JPY even on a longish taxi trip in Kyoto, and taxis are one of the things that Kyoto has in abundance. With a lot of luggage you would need 2 taxis, though medium sized you would tend to fit 4 people's worth in (we used to travel with our two daughters).
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4 nights Kyoto 2023/4/10 16:16
one hotel, preferably in Gion.
From Station take taxi, it is about 1500 yen. Station area itself is not so nice, more noisy and nervous.
One full day in Arashiyama area is quite enough, second day could discover something else (even some small town near lake Biwa - Omi Hachiman or similar).
by girlwithpearl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4 nights Kyoto 2023/4/10 16:33
Thanks for the clarification. Yen 1500 to 3000 is quite reasonable especially shared between 4 persons. I will consider taking taxi from Kyoto station to hotel too.
On the 3rd day, I intend to check out of the 1st hotel, leave luggage at concierge, and continue to tour the city before heading to 2nd hotel in Arashiyama. Will only do bamboo Forest, Tenryuji etc the next day. Not a lot of time. Still have to factor in lunch and dinners or cafe breaks - slow & relaxing time. 😄
by AC (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4 nights Kyoto 2023/4/10 22:13
Kyokoyado Yasaka Yutone ryokan looks amazing but at 72000JPY for the cheapest one night plan for a couple, It'll have to wait for the lottery win....
by Denis C rate this post as useful

Re: 4 nights Kyoto 2023/4/11 00:35
As a frequent visitor of Kyoto, my recommendations for location of accommodation are:
(1) near Kyoto station, and (2) near intersection of Shijo St and Karasuma Street.

Kyoto station is the obvious choice for mass transit convenience - practically all buses and trains stop at Kyoto station. It is also convenient for shopping and dining.

Intersection of Shijo St and Karasuma St is also convenient for transportation (2 train stations and lots of buses). Downtown Kyoto is along the Shijo St, between Karasuma St and Yasaka Shrine. So there are lots of restaurants and shops. Gion district and Nishiki Market are within easy walking distance. Surprisingly, there are 2 affordable hotels nearby: Toyoko Inn Kyoto Shijo Karasuma and Hotel M's Est Shijo Karasuma.
https://goo.gl/maps/EVyQdRR3hhaeGdC18
https://goo.gl/maps/UYfEt8tsp8tCieBG8
by kamahen (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread