Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hirosaki or Hakodate (which to choose ) 2023/4/13 14:21
Our travel date is fixed 22/4 to 25/4. Initial plan is going to Aomori on 22/4, for the Sakura Hanami at Hirosaki, Aomori & Akita. (first time for my husband & son)
From the many reports & forum posted here, i know by 22/4 Hirosaki & many Aomori main places will be over the peak. We have an option to go Hakodate instead. However, i also heard Sakura at Hakodate typically bloom lesser in days (around 5-7 days).
So, if we change to Hakodate, will it be risk missing the peak view around 23/4 - 25/4?

The questions for decision are:
1) Should we remain at Hirosaki & Aomori (at least still in time to see the late blooming type from 22/4)
OR
2) Change itinerary to Hakodate and risk only able to catch it's end tail ?

Thank you.
by SS Wong (guest)  

Re: Hirosaki or Hakodate (which to choose ) 2023/4/13 19:02
You can visit Hakodate and Hirosaki from Aomori though, if that's where your hotel is.
I was at Hirosaki today and it was indeed peak. Rain is forecast this weekend I think. Hakodate is peaking 4/19 I think so your chances are better there.
by jolinn rate this post as useful

Re: Hirosaki or Hakodate (which to choose ) 2023/4/13 23:31
Based on the forecast released today, your chances for Hakodate sound pretty decent. The 2 main sakura spots (Hakodate Park & Goryokaku Park) are currently forecasted for peak bloom on 19/4.
This link for Goryokaku Park may help you decide (it's updated every 1-2 days):
https://www.goryokaku-tower.co.jp/en/sakura/

Perhaps another option to consider is Matsumae, if transport is not inconvenient? I don't know too much about it, but there's supposed to be multiple varieties which bloom in succession over a month.

by ps (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hirosaki or Hakodate (which to choose ) 2023/4/14 02:20
hakodate.

I am also travelling on your dates.

23rd - 25th.

Trust me.

Hakodate.

If you think hakodate is short of attractions, i will give you these places to consider.

1. Hokkiji temple and ono river sakura
2. Sakuragaoka near goryokaku temple
3. Aobagaoka / oniushi park
4. Trappist dai monastery and the other convent
5. Mt hakodate
6. Hachiman zaka.
7. Onuma Park

I was only going for 3D2N, and i kinda regret it. My 4d3n are spent in sapporo.
by Vincent (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hirosaki or Hakodate (which to choose ) 2023/4/15 15:20
Thank you all for the suggestions and tips :)
Yes, good suggestion on Aomori based to visit both Hirosaki & Hakodate, but hotels at Aomori are very full now.
Will focus on Hakodate this round, Hirosaki & Aomori next round then.
by S S Wong (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hirosaki or Hakodate (which to choose ) 2023/4/15 15:37
enjoy it while you can.

cuz when you come next time JR Pass would not be so cheap.
by Vincent (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread