Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

greeting new neighbors 2023/4/14 07:33
Ill be moving into an apartment in japan soon.

I dont want my new neighbors to think that I am rude or unfriendly so how do you think that I should introduce myself to them. I heard that its nice to give gifts to them but I dont know what kind of gifts and how I should give it to them. Any advice?
by japan lover (guest)  

Re: greeting new neighbors 2023/4/15 11:00
Did you try google?

https://youtu.be/JrUQSshKLXA
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: greeting new neighbors 2023/4/17 12:17
My Japanese husband and I moved into an apartment and introducing ourselves and buying gifts did not cross his mind.
There have also been several new neighbours move in since we've lived here and not one of them has come to introduce themselves, they all appear to be japanese, there are not many foreigners in my city either.

It may be more suitable in a house in the countryside but in an apartment I wouldn't worry too much unless its a very rural one. They are most likely not going to do it for you if they move in after you.
It's up to you though obviously, just my experience living here.
by Harmony (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: greeting new neighbors 2023/4/17 13:14
I guess it is up to the ages of the individual and also their inclinations, as well as the types of environment one moves into.

When we (myself Japanese and my non-Japanese spouse) moved into this apartment (unit-owned condominium) in a mainly residential area of Tokyo, we went to greet our neighbors next door, one floor above, and below. Later when the next-door neighbor moved out and a new family came in, as well as the one above us, they all came to introduce themselves with a small gift.
It was the same in a rental apartment in the same neighborhood, except for a young couple who moved in downstairs.

The traditional greeting gifts seem to have been useful everyday things like towels and stuff, but by now it is mostly sweets/consumables (chocolates, cookies, or baked goods, that last relatively long).

If you want to do it, you just go there, say you just moved in (above/below/next door), introduce yourself, and just give the gift.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: greeting new neighbors 2023/4/18 07:22
Thanks!
by japan lover (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: greeting new neighbors 2023/4/18 19:32
Having lived in Tokyo, Yokohama and Nagoya as a Japanese, I totally agree with AK.

Sure enough, people living in places without kids tend to avoid socializing. On the other hand, try to live in neighborhoods where there are indeed a decent amount of socializing. It would be a great way for a single newcomer to gain local information. And gaining local information would help you avoid crimes and disaster problems.

To greet your neighbors, you can either ring the doorbell when the lights are on, or hang your gift on their door. Either way, be sure you write your name on the gift (in kana) so that they'll remember you.

Meanwhile, note that living in a rural countryside would require a whole different set of rules that has more to do with heavy-weight socializing and responsibilities.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread