Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Company or Eikawa? 2023/4/14 07:37
Hello!

Quick question,

I am a certified teacher but I want to know if you think it is best to work for a company or just apply to a Eikawa school. I want to try the JET but I dont really think that I god enough and besides, wont I just have to get another job thats half of my salary that I earned before? Or does the JET increase your pay? Money not all that much for me but I dont want to get used o spending a lot of money on myself then cutting half of it back because my salary greatly reduced.

Thank you!
by animeteach (guest)  

Re: Company or Eikawa? 2023/4/14 19:37
Expand on what you mean by "a company". Eikaiwas are companies. What jobs exactly are you looking at?

First year JETs earn over 3 million yen. Not a huge amount but probably more than a lot of eikaiwa new hires do. Why wouldn't you be good enough for JET? You said you are a certified teacher. Most JETs are fresh university graduates with no teaching experience or formal training in the education field. If anything I would say that a real teacher like yourself is overqualified for JET, most of whom are not teachers, but ALTs. If teaching is truly your passion you may find the role unfulfilling.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Company or Eikawa? 2023/4/15 07:18
Thanks. By company I meant Joytalk or AEON or big ones like that. Sorry to confuse you. I really love teaching so I guess ill try the JET program.

Wish me luck!
by animeteach (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Company or Eikawa? 2023/4/16 01:18
Please look into what the job actually involves before you make any decision. An ALT's job is usually quite different from that of what is normally thought of as a teacher. You will be working under a Japanese teacher of English who will probably not have a very good command over the language themselves. Unless you are lucky enough to get placed at a school that is managed very liberally you might not have many opportunities to do much real teaching. Worst case scenario you might find that your main role is that of a human tape recorder.

Don't mean to put you off. Just be aware that you are probably massively overqualified for this role and may find it boring.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread